Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by morty25, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Hey, i havent got any effects and im looking to get some to improve my sound, im thinking of getting a distortion and phaser, are these worth the money?

im thinking of EH big muff and EH small stone phaser, boss phase shifter or mxr phase90.

thanks morty

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I love the Big Muff - absolutely excellent fuzz, very funky indeed. And so cheap. And I also use the MXR phase 90 which is small, simple and sounds great. They're a good place to start if you want pedals IMO. The bypasses on both pedals are a bit coloured but I don't have much trouble because my bass is active and is additionally buffered by a TE compressor pedal before them. (Though I am looking into putting in true bypass switches).

What sounds are you trying to get? Are there any FX using players whose sound you'd like to emulate?

Alex

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Like Alex says, its worth thinking about what kind of sound you're trying to achieve - effects won't 'improve' your sound but they will give you a wider sonic palette to choose from.

Wulf :)

4. im trying to get a nice funk/rock/metal tone .

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well if you want a nice rock/funk/metal tone, then forget using effects. The fundamental tone you need in any genre is almost always clean bass. Once you've got your clean tone sorted then you can add to your options by using pedals occasionally. What bass and amp are you using? How do you have the bass set up? How do you play it?

Alex

6. I think a phaser makes bass sound nice and pretty. For good funk/rock/metal tones, maybe try a flanger instead. Then pick up an auto-filter. :D

~ Charlie

7. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I just recently switched out my Boss bass overdive with a US Big Muff Pi. I couldn't be happier. It added a whole new dimension of drive and distortion to our band. Makes the Boss seem like a little toy. Definitely get one....

I also have the MXR phase 90. It is a very cool effect and with the size of the knob, the speed can be manipulated on the fly (if your pedal is fastened to a board) with your toe. Because it is such a dominating effect, you may find its uses to be limited. I only use it in 2 songs plus or minus a couple bridges.

I would actually recommend getting the white Dunlop Bass Wah (with auto on and off) first as you can emulate alot of the Phase 90 effect by speeding up or slowing your taps and varying how far you go. Plus the wah can add much more variety to your playing, lines and sounds.

If you are limited on cash go for the Dist and Wah first, but get that MXR as soon as you can after, you won't be disappointed!

P.S. make sure you get a chorus an octave soon as well (I like Boss Bass Chorus and EBS Octabass)
    ;)

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    morty,

Are you playing with any other musicians? There are two reasons I ask:

1. A lot of the 'heavy metal' sound comes from having the amps up high, and you'll also find that your tone sounds different when you're interacting with guitars, drums and vocals. Something that sounds good in your practise room at low volume may not work so well at higher volume in a band situation.

2. It's worth considering your bandmates experiences (and prejudices). That's related to the point above, but they may want a bassline behind them rather than another solo line being added over the top.

In my experience, the larger and louder the group I'm in, the less I use effects. For example, I find my Zoom 505-II pedal a real boon when playing at my church (small group, relatively quiet, with bass taking a very leading role, frequently covering chords or melodies) but in my other projects (a rock band and an urban jazz / soul band) I mainly use it as an easy-to-see inline tuner (it's glowing red display can be read while it sits on the floor - very handy if a string has decided to wander off after a strenous passage).

Actually, if you're looking to experiment a bit with a range of different sounds, the Zoom boxes might be worth looking at. I know that they're often disparaged but they're great for fooling around or live music (can't comment on using them for recording) and the price is excellent (each seperate effect works out to about £2-£3). :cool:

Wulf

9. :D

Yes i am playing in a trio, my guitarist says that a chorus would be a good investment, but i love the sound of phase and i would like some distortion as well.

thanks for your help wulf and everyone else!

much appreciated morty