1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two EQ pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gaebrial, Jan 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gaebrial

Gaebrial

Mar 8, 2016
    So I am planning out my next pedal board and I am looking at graphic EQ pedals. I want to be able to shape the tone of my bass early on in the signal chain, but I also want to be able to shape the sound that comes out of the drive pedal I love, which doesn't have tone controls (southampton 5th gear). Of course, I want the pedals to be small as possible.

Is there a foreseeable problem with having two 5 band EQs, one before the drive and one after it? I was thinking about getting ones that have slightly different bands, since the main purpose of the first one would be to shape the lows and the second to shape/tame the highs from the drive.

2. Is there a problem with It? I can't foresee one. However, I'd grab one and see how it sounds before I bought two.

3. You will find the any EQ pre dirt will cause the dirt to react more aggressively than without the EQ. If you need EQ earlier in your chain, then do it for other pedals...not dirt. Dirt circuitry clipps which often causes more spiky mids. So doing any EQ before is going to have the dirt put it's sonic stamp all over it and you probably won't hear much difference. For Dirt, it's usually better post not pre. So you can tailor the tone.
    My ideal set up is a simple wide band 2 or 3 band EQ early in my chain (not for dirt) and then a nice big graphic 10 band late in the chain for tweeking and getting my stage EQ right.

4. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    The only "problem" would be balancing out the sound properly. With two EQs, and potentially a preamp as well, you could really kill the sound on certain frequencies if you aren't careful. But that is a user issue; if you can set up and play 7 Metal Zones, 2 EQs should be fine!

5. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    An EQ with adjustable output gain should not cause this issue :)

Beheroth likes this.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Not at all IMO. The only thing I would look out for is if you stack dirt boxes. Stacking EQ can have an adverse effect on a dirty signal. I run a lot of tone shaping and EQ on my board and I love it. But I can't really stack dirt much. Which isn't the worst thing in the world.

But overall, I don't think there's any issues with stacking/doubling up EQs in your chain.

7. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    these don't cost much and have useful freq bands Mooer Graphic B Bass EQ
    I would just get them and experiment. You might not need the 2. You might find that the best sound is no eq pedals because they inhibit your line level. Get a VT or change your amp's eq and put a limiter in the send return of your amp. Anyways, the 5th Gear is pretty responsive to stacking anything especially when you are using it low drive.