Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two fold pup newbie question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slickhare, May 22, 2005.

1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i'm looking into changing my pups for something different. now my bass has P-bass style pickups. does that mean that ANY p-bass pups will work in it? also is it difficult to install new pickups? do you need a bit of technical knowhow to succefully get them in?

2. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I'm not very experienced with P-basses, but the pickups are very easy to hook up, they come with a diagram that actually says hook the black wire up here, and the white wire up here. They are very nice pickups, they just dont have enough high end for me, but I'm coming from an SX100b on a guitar amp(im building my bass amp right now)

3. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    What is it about bass players that they just can't leave anything alone....
    I'm wondering why do you want to change pickups and what are you going to replace them with?
    roguebass is right it should be easy enough if you have basic soldering skills. The new ones should connect just like the old ones. When it comes to P and J pickups there should just be a plug in system......hmmmm. :)
    I think Alembic does something like that already.

Attached Files:

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yeah its not that hard you just need to know how to solder. I would suggest using your old pickups and hardware for practice so you won't get the new ones all messed up.

i would suggest the seymour duncan quarter pounders for your p bass. they have a great sound and will make your bass sound a lot better.