1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two fold string question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kopfjaeger, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    Hello, I hope you guys can help me with two string questions. I have a fender P bass that has been in storage for many years. I know Roto sound strings are on it since that is all I used. How can I tell what gauge strings are on it? Is it possible to tell?

Second, I recently picked up a brand new Ric 4003. I read that Ric's come with 105-75-55-and 45 gauge strings. When it comes time to swap the factory strings out, how important is it to go with similar gauge strings on my Ric? I remember years and years ago owning a used and abused 4001 with neck issues. I was told it may have been caused by previous owners going with much heavier strings than factory. Is it still recommended to go light with strings on a Ric??

Thanks in advance.

Joe

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    45-105 are the most commonly used string gauge. So chances are thats the gauges you had on your P. Do you have any reason to go with a heavier gauge? If not, Id just go with std rotosound swing 66 which is 45-105 gauge. Is good gauge and very good string btw imo.

3. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    The new Rics don't have the neck problems anymore. Also, I believe the strings they come with are slightly smaller than 105-45. Having said that, I put 105-45 strings on my Ric without any problems.

4. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    Guys, thanks for the replies. I have no reason whatsoever or desire to put any heavier strings than what is factory. I just had no clue as to what I had put on it years ago. I was not sure if they were marked in some way or could be measured in diameter to see what was on it.

It seems like string choices have increased in the years since I was last active in playing. As I remember the roto sounds I put on were called round wound, I think. I remember havnig to decide rounds or flats. That choice was decided pretty early one since i loved the way a set of round wound strings, especially roto sound sounded.

Anyway I never remember as many metals being offered and now you have cryogenic freezing of strings to enhance performance.

While the skill has come back nicely, kinda like riding a bike, the learning curve has become steeper in just about every area.

Joe

5. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Check out the Rickenbacker site. They sell the strings. You were right about the guages.