Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two great gigs this weekend.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Aug 27, 2001.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Being in two bands can be a struggle. However, when you have two kickin' gigs back to back on a Fri and Sat, it really blows your mind.

Friday was closer to home with the original project at a club designed for bands to play. Great sound. It started off slow, no crowd at all. Went from 10pm-2am. By the time we were done they were pushing up against the stage going nuts.

Saturday was my SKA/Funk cover band sharing a bill with a more popular group down in Philly. Two sets between 10:30 and 12pm. 1st set OK, 2nd set blew everyone's mind. A guest singer from another SKA band came up to do a Bosstones tune. Best song we ever did live (no offense to our female singer).

Anyway, my wife has been pushing me to quit one of them and spend more time at home. I have been trying to decide and this weekend just made it harder.

2. I got the solution. Bring your wife to gigs! :p

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Lucky you, Zulu, I'm envious.

Most of the college people are returning to school around here. That means the amount and quality of freak dancing in the clubs will suffer :( And the clubs in college towns we play won't be as packed till a couple weeks later, when they break their resolutions to knuckle down this semester.

Clubs here sound like yours - they start coming through the door at 10pm and by 11pm there are lines at the bar and the johns are wrecked.

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    No! Worlds collide! :eek: :D

I am in just one band at the moment, but the main problem I have experienced being in two bands is the event-chrashes, like gigs on same date, one bands tour interfering with other bands studio session etc. Jealousy and bad vibes. Have you multi-band members encountered any of these problems?

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Ahhh... the endless struggle of choosing between spending time with wife and bass...

Last weekend my wife came back from working in the country after 1 month (she is a medical intern) - she was only back for 1 weekend before flying off for another month. On that same weekend, I was scheduled to go into the studio to record some bass tracks on Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm. Praise God I have an understanding wife - she encouraged me to keep the studio appointment, even though I was willing to postpone it to spend time with her. :) I have a great wife!

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    That's a funny segway. I have had trouble with girls coming up to me in the past (no accounting for drunk wench's taste). Even flashing a ring doesn't ward off the most persistent. It's not about looks...read the "Getting Girls" thread.

Actually, my wife did go to the Friday show at which the crowd happened to be generously sprinkled with buxom would-be groupies. My wife had a major headache and just wanted to sleep in the car, but she managed to stick through it after she spotted a few trouble makers trying to tell me something while I was playing. (My response to my wife - "Hey, what am I supposed to say? F-off? That's why I have you here." - Good save on my part.)

She opted out of going to the Saturday gig which to my good fortune was ironically bereft of potential home-wreckers. So, here's to good fortune!:rolleyes:

I'd really love to get an outdoor daytime gig some day so my 16-month old daughter could come along. Having both of my girls there is a completely safe situation.