Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two GS112s or 2 2x10s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexander, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I am looking for a portable, yet fairly loud setup - I am trying to upgrade from a Nemesis 4x10 combo to something a bit more powerful. I play in a fairly loud rock band and the Nemesis is barely adequate when turned all the way up.

I am thinking about an Eden WT-800 into two GS112s - from what I've read on TB you can run an amp equal to twice the cabinet's rating, so in this case 400W/side into a 300W speaker. So, it sounds as if I could push these things pretty hard and be okay (please let me know if I am wrong!). Would this type of setup be loud enough or would I need more cabinet than just the 2 12's? Or should I get two 2x10s, instead? I like the idea of the 12's as they seem to be a good compromise between 10s and 15s, but I don't want to get this rig home and it not be enough for the situations I'll play. Thanks for your help!

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The GS112 is an 8 ohm and the WT-800's 400w per side I believe is a 4 ohm rating. I think you'd only be getting around 240w at 8 ohms.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Rod is right.

The WT800 is 400 per side into 4 ohms & 800 bridged into 8 ohms. So if you were using 2 GS112's per side you would not get the full power out of the amp.

A better idea would be to get a different head or go with the power amp/preamp setup.

And to answer your question, I think that 2 210's would be alot louder that 2 112's.

I use a gs210 + gs112 & its really loud & pretty portable. I'm also using a QSC PLX2402 so I'm giving it a ton of power. The more power the better.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    And alot heavier.

2 GS112s are loud enough for most gigs if given enough power. I have used them at outdoor gigs, and they provided plenty of volume. Also, the GS112s are pretty efficient speakers, so they won't need as much power as say an Acme.

The GS112 won't give you the mids that a typical 2x10 cab provides. If you want "thump", a pair of GS112s will provide plenty. If you want more "punch", then a 2x10 cab will probably suit you better.

5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Of course there's always an option of going a 212 cab + a 210. :)

6. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Very true Jive1. The GS210 is around 60lbs & the GS112 is in the 45lbs range I think. The 112 is very easy to carry. I cant say the same about the 210. But the good thing about having 2 different cabinets is that one make up for what the other lacks.

I'm was bridging the QSC PLX2402 into the GS210 & it was loud, but not very deep. Now I'm briding the amp into both cabinets for a 4 ohm total load & its freakin loud & deeeeep. I dont play 5 string so I cant speak for how it handles the B, but I doubt it would have any issues.

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The GS112's handle the low B well IMHO.

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Rod - I like the 2x10 and 2x12 stack. Should give the best of both worlds (and available in 4ohm) ;)

The more portable, the better - but this should rock!

9. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I'm going to the 210 & 212 too. To deal with the portability issue, I'm getting a Rock N Roller cart.

10. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I'm going to agree with jive on the thump vs. punch. In fact I see myself in the future selling one of my GS112s and picking up a GS210. MMM...

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh yea... the 2x10's sound fine, but cmon, its a bear to carry around. i'll take the 1x12's anyday. they're plenty punchie with the right amount of EQ'ing. fill 'em with enough volume, and they'll bark right back.

no doubt.

12. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    word.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    How would a GS210 sound with a GS112? Anyone done that yet?

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have my genz 2x10 and my aggie and it sounds awsome..i wouldn't hesitate to do a aggie 2x10 with a 12...

steve

15. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Not with a GS112, but I have paired it with a pair of EA CXL110s.

Let me say, that 2 CXL110s and a pair of Aggies makes for a rig that kills. If they are properly powered, and have a decent preamp, the sound is incredible. Very loud, and very full range. All those terms like punch, thud, thump, bark, crisp, etc.. are in there. All the frequencies are well accounted for.

If you want a smaller rig, 1 GS112 and a CXL110 makes for a great setup as well. Just ask BassMonkee. Very full range, and plenty of volume. The mids and highs of the 1x10 make up for the scooped sound of the GS112. The Aggie makes up for the lows that the CXL110 lacks. Very versatile setup with awesome tones.

As far as a GS112 paired with a 2x10, you'll get a similar sound to what I have mentioned above, with more bass and more punch. I find that when a GS112 is paired with 2x10s, the 1x12 is more of a complimentary cab. It fills in the bass that the 2x10 lacks. But, from the specs on Aguilar's website, it doesn't look like the GS210 lacks lows anyway.

16. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Not with a GS112, but I have paired it with a pair of EA CXL110s.

Let me say, that 2 CXL110s and a pair of Aggies makes for a rig that kills. If they are properly powered, and have a decent preamp, the sound is incredible. Very loud, and very full range. All those terms like punch, thud, thump, bark, crisp, etc.. are in there. All the frequencies are well accounted for.

If you want a smaller rig, 1 GS112 and a CXL110 makes for a great setup as well. Just ask BassMonkee. Very full range, and plenty of volume. The mids and highs of the 1x10 make up for the scooped sound of the GS112. The Aggie makes up for the lows that the CXL110 lacks. Very versatile setup with awesome tones.

As far as a GS112 paired with a 2x10, you'll get a similar sound to what I have mentioned above, with more bass and more punch. I find that when a GS112 is paired with 2x10s, the 1x12 is more of a complimentary cab. It fills in the bass that the 2x10 lacks. But, from the specs on Aguilar's website, it doesn't look like the GS210 lacks lows anyway.

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the aggie deff helps...i was just playing.and in a very very loud situation...the 2x10 and 12 do amazing..it handles the low a flat like a pro..no farting out or anything...im very pleased with this cab and will be adding another one soon i hope...2 1x12 aggies and a my genz 2x10..then move to a aggie 2x10

thanks
    steve

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wouldnt a single 10" cab greatly reduce the possible volume you can run the 1x12? in a way, you'd be running the 12" cab at a reduced volume to compensate for the 1x10, no? at lower volumes, i'm sure it'd be fine and a great setup, but for louder gigs, the 1x10 seems like it'd hold back an otherwise powerful rig.

IMHO, a 2x10 would give you a better equalization in volume, and you'd be able to really use the 1x12 to its full potential, which the Aguilar 1x12 sounds best at. lower volumes it sounds a tad muffled to me.

FYI, i used to use my old Acme B2 2x10, along with my old Aggie 1x12, and HOLY CRAP, simply off the scale. the full bodied punch and slammin' low B of the Acme coupled with bourbon like richness of the Aguilar made for a very heady brew.

19. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Good point.

I forgot to mention that the best results would be in a biamped setup, with a crossover somewhere above 60-80Hz at least. But even without biamping, the CXL110 handles quite a bit of power (350W), and handles lows quite well (supposedly as low as 45Hz). The CXL and the Aggie also have similar sensitivies, so they match up well. I do admit that the CXL110 farts a little at frequencies somewhere below 50-55 Hz. Hence the biamping, if I really want to maximize the lows of the GS112.

20. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    My four GS112s are, indeed, loud.