Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two hand tapping for the non olympian

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chris griffiths, Mar 31, 2003.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I hate to sound negative, but could someone please point me towards a bass player with a 2 hand technique who doesn't sound like a midi module? I'm just looking for someone a little more musical and besides mike and steve, I'm having a hard time coming up with someone. Please don't take this as a criticism on the technique I'd just like to hear it applied in a way that is pretty and not a tonal typerwiter.

also in more commercial and traditional pop latin funk r&B settings are there good places for this technique? if so can you suggest some or give some listening suggestions? thanx

2. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    look for element of surprise on MP3.com jean baudin really kicks ass on his 9string!! Nice tapping

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Roscoe Beck

4. Mike and steve? Can we get a last name?

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    And the gold medal for 2-handed tapping goes to...

6. Me, for my astonishingly crappy Two handed tapping of the Star wars theme!!!

7. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Victor Wooten! Yikes, man, check him out. Some of what he does is scary, but some is very beautiful.

His solo albums or any of his work with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones feature some very melodic two-hand tapping (as well as ridiculous stuff that is not so melodic but makes you want to quit playing bass anyway).

There's a live DVD ("Live at the Quick") and a live double Flecktones album ("Live Art") that features Victor doing a solo Amazing Grace, which is amazingly graceful and utilizes two-hand tapping.

Cheers,
    Jeb

8. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    There's also a DVD of Mr. Wooten Live at Bass Day 1998 (Hal Leonard Publishing). This includes a solo performance, and some explanation of technique (right handed rhythmic stuff and two handed tapping). There is a ton of great music utilizing two handed tapping on this DVD!

9. Dude, check out Marcus Miller's 'Mr. Pastorius.' I think that is the prime example of beauty in tapping. I'll probably learn it sooner or later, but I'm dumb and I keep writing tapping stuff... so, yeah. Check it out man.

10. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    michael manring and steve lawson

11. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    cool yeah I've seen the vic stuff. I was looking for something more in a support setting like working it into a bass line that is backing a group as opposed to the solo stuff. I'll check our Roscoe. I know some Marcus I don't think thats what I"m looking for but thanx great tune!

12. Check out some of John Myung's stuff with Dream Theater then. I think the song title is Scarred, he does some neat little tapping things. You could also check out New Millenium by them. God I love Dream Theater...

13. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    yeah John came and visited one of my Berklee classes. I'm not a dream theatre fan but I really thought his demeanor with the students was pretty cool a very nice guy.

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Don't forget about Stu Hamm!

15. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    check out christoph victor kaiser from the german band jazz pistols.
    he taps some great chordal stuff on his foderas to fill up the trio sound.

16. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hey,

Maybe you can try just "bustin' out" chordally on the songs you usually play.

For example, say over a standard blues progression of G7, C7, and D7, you can use your left hand to (ahem) finger the roots and your right hand to finger the thirds and flat sevenths higher up the next (past the 12th fret).

Once the chord aspect of it is down (where on the neck you're putting your fingers), then there's the rhythmic aspect; how you tap the chords.

In any case, good luck and have fun!

Cheers,
    Jeb

17. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I second the Myung vote...Hes awesome!

Joe

18. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    ok which Myung stuff should I listen to? the dream theatre stuff or the jelly jam stuff? or is there something I don't know about? Also say if you hate Dream theatre is there a project he does that doesn't sound so prog like where he does the technique?

19. Adrian Davison

20. Talkbass member Jauqo is a great player, check this video out.