Two-hand tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by my name is mud, Nov 20, 2004.

1. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    Alright Ive been reading this bass lessons book and they talk alittle about two hand tapping but they way they put it is like totally confusing me. Can someone give me a rundown on how to do it and maybe a few songs that have it in them so I can hear what it's suposta sound like?
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Stu Hamm - Moonlight Sonata
    Victor Wooten - Overjoyed

Imagine playing a piano. Now imagine mixing the physical aspect of that -- eg, hitting the note -- and transfer it to the fingerboard of a bass. You tap at the fret like you'd play a note on the piano. It's much easier to do with REALLY low action. It can take a while to get really good at it, and you can eventually make some pretty wild lines with it. Check out some Primus for some more of that.

Go to and then the Bass Survival section. Dale Titus has a lesson or two on tapping that is/are great. There's also a really good book called Progressive Tapping for Bass Guitar. Outlines it all very well with transcribed lines and pictures.
  3. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    it is harder to find, but if you can find stu hamm's slap, tap & pop video 1/3 of it is devoted to tapping and he teaches some basic technique and you learn part of some song (bach's prelude I believe)
  4. i'm not sure if its two hand tapping, but i know that "severed" by mudvayne has sum tapping towards the middle of the song that sounds very sic.
  5. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    another blatantly right hand pointer and midle finger tapping song using two hand tapping is Primus's Tommy the cat- basically- use as many tritone's as humanly possible- then add more- hehe.

anyway- a lot of stu hamm stuff is just hitting the fret board hard with both hands- so you have two sets of note producers- just in the way it was originally hard to sync up right and let to play one note- just proactice sync-ing right and left hitting forcefully in the same rhythm.

and- as was said earlier- LOW ACTION helps so unbelieveably much. personally- i dont tap with fingers 1-4; i have my own special way- because i own an old music man- and the action makes for great tone with slap- and i dont want open string buzzing when i play- so i sacrifice a bit. wish i had a second bass to dedicate to 1 and 2 right hand tapping- like a '65 fender jazz bass- tapped on those before- omfg- just great.
  6. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Combinations I use include:

Bass/Melody #1 - Right hand for bass lines E and A string, and the left hand for melody lines D and G string

Bass/Meldoy #2 - Right hand for bass lines A and D string, and left hand for melody lines G string only

Appegio's - Right hand E and G string, left hand A and D string

I also like see the whole fretboard for choices of notes use:

7. i used to just tap, in the argpeggio left hand mode shown by kiwikid. chords with my a and d string with my right hand.. and pat out high notes on the g string with my left hand. since you're just holding chords (usually fourths) with one hand, it's easy to do, you get used to using both hands on the fret board and eventually you can move on further
  8. IHeartBass127

Nov 23, 2004
    DMV by Primus has some gnarley tapping in it
  9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    does anyone else tap with their thumb? i havent put much work into trying the piano style of tapping since i like my action a little high, but the thumb thing is easy to integrate into slap and you can get more notes in by thumb tapping and then sliding- like thumb, slide, pull off, then left hand stuff.