Two Hand Tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LoreBard, Sep 3, 2002.

1. LoreBard

Sep 2, 2002
    I know what it is, and I can do a little of it.
    Before I start practicing it more, I'd like to know if there are anythings I should keep in mind to make it easier or more effective or tricks to aid me in concentrating on two different lines (eg. Linus and Lucy)

Thanks in advance:)
  2. I find it is pretty much impossible to concentrate entirely on two things at once, the trick is to get to the point where you don't have to concentrate in order to play something. Try play the one of the parts until you have it memorized to the point that you don't have to think about it at all to play it, now try and toss the other part in.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Also, make sure your bass is set up properly. Nothing worse than trying to do two handed tap on a bass with ultra high action.
  4. LoreBard

Sep 2, 2002
    Everything (for me) is hard with high action.
    What's the point of it exactly?
  5. When it comes to two-hand tapping, I've come across two types. Since we're talking Stu Hamm, one of the types is the "two different parts simultaneously" type. "Linus and Lucy" is an example of this. WHen I approach this type of tapping, I have to think about independence in both hands. But I also slow things down and slowly figure out how both parts relate to each other. Once you get a feel for it, it's just muscle memory. I suppose if you know how to play some basic piano, this stuff is second nature. Unfortunately I don't. Once upon a time, i figured out how to play Victor Wooten's verson of Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed." The same sort of thing applies in a few bars.

The other type of tapping actually doesn't require independence per se because you're only tapping one note at a time. There's no simultaneous moving bass/melody. This type of tapping is very chordal. Stu Hamm's tune "Terminal Beach" is an example of this. I think the chordal type is easier to play than the "two different parts simultaneously" type.

Then there's always the Van Halen type of tapping where it's all done on one string with a series of pull-offs and hammer-ons.
  6. I guess the higher your action, the more aggresively you can play without getting fret noise.
  7. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    For tapping you want a fairly low action so you don't have to hit the strings so hard, that way you don't tire out and you get MUCH better (and clearer) tone.
  8. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    If you are going to do "independent style" make sure your right hand thumb is firmly planted on top of the fingerboard (on the top edge) this helps to give strength for the downward presure needed to make clean notes. This doesn't man your right hand won't have to move back and forth etc, but once you find your spot, anchor away!