Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Hartke 3500s or one 7000???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JHMAVRO, Sep 27, 2000.

1. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I seem to be on a never ending search for an amp. When I first started looking I fell in live with the Hartke 3500. But, like an idiot I bought an Ampeg Svt-3 pro(mostly becuse other people said I should, stupid I know).

Well That thing has gone back to the store were it came from so now I'm back to square one, And Im gonna go with my gut.

(Here comes the point, sorry!!) While checking out Hartke's again I thought maybee I should get the 7000, because its bi-amped. But for $100 dollers more I could get two 3500's. Does this sound better to anyone?? I dont know sh*t about amps, But I think this would give me more headroom, And I could use just one for practice. I figure I'll just send the same signal fro my bass into both channels of my sonic maximizer, then each channel two its respective amp, one for the 10's & horn , and one for the 15's.
    Am I just making this too complicated?????

[Edited by JHMAVRO on 09-27-2000 at 03:31 PM]

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    A very interesting idea. One advantage would be that if one amp failed, you'd still have half of your power. Are you willing to lug two amps around? If you are then that may be the way to go.

3. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I read that when you bi-amp heads that you should run a crossover in order to isolate frequencies to the particular cabs being used (although I am not sure why this is important). If this is the case, you need to factor in the cost of a crossover. Why did you not like the SVT3-PRO?

4. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    one 7000

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I believe the H7000 is the same as the H3500 but with two 350W power amps instead of just one - and the H7000 has a crossover.
    Wether you use this crossover or not is IMHO a question of taste.
    I can't see any advantage in getting two H3500s except for that 'back up' thing as White Knight said.
    But it might be interesting if you are in 2 different rehearsal rooms. You could leave one amp in each room and use both only for large gigs...
    BTW: when you use two 3500s it should also be possible to run one of them as a slave amp (via line out and effects return) - of cause you have only full range signal in this case.

Matthias

[Edited by Matthias on 09-28-2000 at 03:00 AM]

6. I run a H3500 plus an Ashdown ABM500 for larger venues. The main advantages for me are, back
    up and if you don’t slave it but link from line out to pre-amp in, you can set up two different EQ’s, which can be handy at times.
    The disadvantages are that you have to lug both around plus a problem I’ve got at the moment with mains hum, although I think I’ve got that dreaded hum sorted thanks to advice from this forum.

I’ve thought long and hard about changing to an Ashdown ABM900 or H7000 dual channel but think I prefer the piece of mind knowing that if one amp fails I can still get through the gig.

Spike.

7. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA

8. I say go with the HA7000. I have the HA5000 which I run into an Ampeg 115 and 210 in bi-amp mode, and it works great. It will probably sound better and more balanced than trying to use two HA3500's.

I know what you mean about the SVT3. I had a HA5000 that blew up on me recently. My fiancee managed to convince Samson to send me a brand new one for free (the warranty has been up for a while), but I decided I'd sell the new one and buy a new head. I got an SVT3, and hated it. It sounds great playing at home by yourself, but it got lost in my band situation. Plus, the HA5000 is louder with the preamp knob on 10:00 and the master volume on 1 than the SVT3 was with the gain and master both set halfway up, plus you don't get that distortion that the SVT3 produces with the preamp set anywhere past 8:00.

9. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Get one 7000. That will work fine for you. You could always take the extra $100 left over and save some more money to buy a used 3500 as a back up if you wanted to. But the 7000 will work well enough and you won't have to lug two amps to every gig.