1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two heads, one cab, no switcher

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ThinCrappyTone, May 12, 2017.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is a question that came up on a fb thread, and I am really curious if anyone knows the answer. Question is: can you safely have two heads plugged into one cab, as long as you only power up one head at a time?

Here's what he's trying to do
    1) he has one cab, and two heads
    3) he wants to plug the speaker output of both heads the parallel inputs of a single cab, while both heads are powered down
    2) Power-up head A, record something
    3) Power-down head A, but leave it plugged into cab.
    4) Power-up head B, record something.

Perfectly fine? Or imminent disaster?

(note: he knows about Radial headbone, but I don't think he has cash for that solution)

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    As long as you didn't accidentially leave A Head on and power up B Head, it wouldn't be an issue, but it's also important to make sure that
    the A head is completely off. Power sections on different amps could cycle slower or faster than others. While I think I understand that
    the player is trying to Double on two different amps, IMHO it's far safer and better to have a two channel amplifier.

Ric

ThinCrappyTone likes this.