1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

...Two humbuckers in series out of phase...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bacid, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Please help! I'm sick and tired of using the search function. I've got two humbuckers (dimarzio split p and X2N-B ) and I want to wire them in series and out of phase with two volumes and two tones. I'm a little lost on how to do this. Also ground goes under the bridge right? Thanks.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Why would you want to wire them out of phase? I'm confused.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

concur, out of phase (180 degrees) is not something that works for bass - more of an accent piezo type tone. Phase is workable for bass using a blend pot or throwing coils out of phase in a HB and using a second pup as the core tone but looks like you've got your hands full with the basics - so I wouldn't go there yet. Dimarzio has the wiring on their site and it should have come with the X2N-B (since it's a special order pup).

I would definitely read through this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276127

4. Whoops, I was tired when I wrote that. Not out of phase. I meant in phase. I want the two humbuckers to be like one giant humbucker.

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Both pickups In series in phase you mean. It can be done with a switch but not with a blend pot (If I am not mistaken)

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Seems like you could achieve this better just by turning up the pre-gain on your head/preamp, without all the loss of upper mids and treble.