Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two important questions(GK and Avatar owners read here!!!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 12, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Question 1: I'm in a serious cross here, I'm dieing for some opinions.Ok I've got $725 bucks write now, I'm thinking about getting the SWR Workingmans 4004 head and 410T package. It costs $999,I can get it for $945. I was thinking, instead of that ,why dont I get an Avatar B410, and a Gallien Krueger 700rb-II head. I mean just think about it, I got 400 bucks to tottally take care of the Avatar.The GK is 600 bucks, I've got $335 for that by the time I get my first job and christmas blow by, I'll have the rest of the money. I think the big "commen sence" choice would be the Avatar/GK thing. It's pro quality, and brands like those two are almost never a bad decision.

What do you guys think???

I like the Idea of Avatar, but I've got a problem.I've read that those amps dont do terribly well with detuned basses. The guy in Bass Player said the B string was kinda fizzy and inacurate on the B210 .I've got a detuned 4 string. My "E" and "G" strings are in B tuning, and my "A" and "D" strings are in low G# tuning. I seriously need the facts around here cuz' I KNOW there are plenty of Avatar owner's in this beast.

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I would definitely do the GK/Avatar rig since I think GK sounds really good and I've also heard nothing but great things about the Avatars.

As for the B string sounding fizzy on the Avatar, I couldn't help you there because im not a 5 stringer sorry.

3. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Its not really about 5 string its about low frequencies that duting OR 5 strings give out. My 4 string is detuned.I love it that way....

4. The avatar B210 is an efficient can with high power handling, but it does not go especially deep.

Avatar also make larger cabs with 15's and 12's which reports say are deeper (as one would expect). If you downtune and want rumble, don't get a 210!

I have the b210, its loud, but not trouser flapping at those low freqs.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    I run a GK-1001RB head threw 1 4x10 8khm Cab and 1 2x12 8ohm Cab ( both avatar)

must say it sounds pretty damn good, the 4x10 cant quite handle the deep lows like i would want. I know im rigging up a bass block to keep the deep down lows from hitting the 4x10 and staying all in the 2x12. ( i really dont have much of a problem with it, just when i really dig in hard on the E )

So for a rock/metal player that wants that deep down thunder, go with 2 2x12s

Also, i would save your money and get the 1001RB, its super powerfull for the extra money, and deffintly worth it.

feel free to contact me with any questions ya got reguarding this rig, either here, PM, Email ( zfield@sonic.net ) or on AIM- URBANxSTRIKE

Cheers
    Pb

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think the GK is a better bang for the buck head, at least in terms of the volume/price ratio. The tone is subjective, but I much prefer it to SWR, though admittedly I don't know much about the workingman's series.

I used an Avatar 410 at a gig and the B string was great on my 6-string, however, I had a 1300-watt amp powering the cab, so the surplus headroom might have made for a better sounding B. That said, my brother's GK 800RB sounds awesome through the Avatar, and no troubles with the low B with that rig either.

Not sure if any of this helps -- but that's been my experience. If it was me, I would definitely pick the GK/Avatar rig, but maybe save up for the 1001RB ($650 @ Riks Music), and get a 4ohm Avatar B410 to run it at 700 watts.

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    iwouldnt go with a 4ohm cab..........get an 8 ohm so you can expand to 2 cabs running out of it.......480 watts in 8ohm mode is more then enough for that cabinet : )

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

That's definitely true -- as my bro's 300 watt 800RB + B410 rig can attest. On the other hand, the 410 alone was more than enough sound for me at a pretty big venue, with a loud rock band, so if it was me I'd go for the headroom for the B-string. That's just me though ;)

9. For $630 you can get the more powerful 1001RB-II from ww.riksmusic.com

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Is anyone else confused by this? :confused:

My older (rear-ported) B2x10 sounds decent with 150 GK watts, even down to B at moderate volumes. Like any non-high-end 2x10, though, it breaks up a bit louder from the E string's F# downward.