Two Jazz Basses... same recording. Which is which?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, Apr 28, 2019.

1. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Because it's such a fun game to do... let's go again!! Scott Devine isn't doing it right enough :D

I may receive hate and bad feedback about my bass tone/sloppy playing.. go ahead but I won't care! I'm not claiming to be any good at playing the bass guitar. I also love Jazz Basses and... no, I did not listen to Jaco Pastorius. Sorry, guys.

Well! Back to the matter; I got 2 Jazz Basses here for a comparison. Are you ready?

The Bass Number One is: a CIC Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass, sporting a basswood body, a rosewood fingerboard, hi-mass Squier bridge with brass saddles, using the stock pickup (you know Made in China, "cheap", "airy", "low output", "undefined", "messy", "without dynamics"... blablablah blablablah like Lifeson would say...), and Elixir nickel 40-95 - 10 months old strings.

The Bass Number Two is: a MIM Fender Special Run 70s Jazz Bass, sporting a swamp ash body, a glossy maple fingerboard, hi-mass Fender bridge with bras-saddles, using French made Crel JB42 pickup (you know, quality made, "expensive", "defined", "with dynamics", "high output", "overwound", "hot"... ok I'll stop that), and Elixir nickel 40-95 - newish strings.

I've played a single riff, fingerstyle, from Freewill's bassline by Geddy Lee, using ONLY the neck pickups, full opened tone, same bass setup (approximately)... No effect, no EQ-ing, a slight compression, and here we go.

Which is which ???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    They sound nearly identical, but I prefer the 2nd one. Has a little throatier sound IMO.

3. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    So to you, which one is which? :D

4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

The first half of the recording is indubitably a French made Crel JB42 pickup in a MIM FSR, with 100% certainty.

Joe Murray, ThinCrappyTone and murphy like this.
  5. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    I WAS going to say that bass #2 is the SR 70's, but then noticed I didn't hear the correct vintage of head stock decal, so now...

:D Too soon?

6. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    I'm sorry to tell you that
    Not too soon! I think you already know me. :D
    What decided you?

7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    a week later would be three days too late.

Keger Jupit likes this.
  8. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Yeah I followed your NBD thread when you got it. I had a '95 made in Japan 1975 reissue that looked like yours. And then the decal thread...anyway, I was mostly just messing around. But the second one has a bit more "brassiness" to it that sounds more like a 70's J

InstantEctobass likes this.
  9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Near identical to me as well. But I think #2 is the 70's SR. Mainly because of ONE note that I heard in a higher octave had more of a bite to it than the first bass. I am basing this on the fact that I own both basses myself and that's how they sound to me! Though I could easily be wrong :)

InstantEctobass likes this.
  10. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Well, Sir, you're 100% right!

11. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    They both sound great. 2nd one sounded much chunkier though, and it sounded more 70s, especially when you started to attack the strings a little harder, the Geddy tone just popped out.

Don't keep me guessing... am I right or not? :D

12. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    You're right, man! But we gotta admit that regarding all the parameters I've said in my original post... the difference is tight! But it's there ;)

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  13. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Yes of course! Both basses sound great! And the Squier, if that's all you could afford, would do it for you. But, the Fender is still nicer. And that's how you would want it to be if you are paying extra, anyway. At least, in this day and age, if your options are limited, then we are super lucky enough to have cheap basses that sound this good. But don't buy a bass just because it's cheap. We all want a good deal, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

14. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    The 250 bucks I've put in the Squier are the most efficient bucks ever! :D
    We talked about them in Squier CV threads a lot... you know it. These basses had a abnormal price/quality ratio. RIP Squier Cv 2006-2014

Yahboy likes this.
  15. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

How are people hearing 70's J when OP has bridge pickup completely off? That's amazing.

kodiakblair likes this.
  16. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    The neck pup still had that growl to it
    The Squier's sounded duller (in comparison)

A jazz bass sound consists of 2 pickups, mixed together. You have one, or the other, and you are only hearing half of the blend. You can just pick it I guess... plus it sounded more "expensive" anyway :smug:

RyanOh likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Then why should anybody bother listening?

I mean if you don’t really know what you’re doing, and you don’t care, why should anyone else?

A large amount of the sound you get out of a bass comes from the player’s technique. It takes a skilled player (like Scott Devine or someone with experience who cares about their playing) to keep their technique precise and similar enough between playing two different basses that you hear more of the difference between the basses than you do the difference in the player’s performances.

So I’m not going to send you any “hate.” I’ll just offer you what I said above in hopes you’ll maybe think about how it’s not just gear, but rather the gear plus the player that equals the sound we hear and call: “The Bass.”

RumbleMan3 and RyanOh like this.
  18. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Well that's pretty good then! Of course, prices always vary between countries anyway. $900 AUD for a bass is a relatively average price people would spend, for a good quality one, but for me that seems expensive. (I'm also 16 and earning minimum wage so I think I'm pretty fortunate to have such a great bass!)

RyanOh likes this.
  19. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    That is why he recorded both basses neck p'up only, otherwise the difference would be way too obvious.

I don't think you understand the point of this test... it is to try and tell which bass is which. ;)

RyanOh likes this.
  20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    First record sound less fresh Hi, like broken in sound bass string , I guess this is CV jazz with old elixir nano.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021