Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two kids killed at my school for street racing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ADbassman, Mar 7, 2005.

1. It was a strange day today. Two guys who went to my school were killed Saturday night during a street race on the highway. They were flying down the highway in excess of 70 miles an hour, lost control, hit the guard rail on the median and flipped the car into oncoming traffic. Thankfully, there were no cars coming at the time. The sad part is they probably would have lived if they had worn their seatbelts. Sources say there was no alcohol involved, just teen street racing.

The atmosphere at school today was eire. The halls were silent except for the tears and sobs of my classmates. Many students gathered around the two kids lockers to sign them and pay respect to them. The brother of one of those that was killed was screaming at all the other students to learn something from all this, if nothing else. While I did not personally know either of them except for some classes with them, it still hit close to home.

While those who died made the conscious decision to race that night, they gambled with their lives and ended up losing.

2. In Vancouver a few years ago there were around 5 deaths per week involving street racing. It's really not a good idea at all.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The way you worded the title makes it sound like their court-ordered punishment for street-racing was death.

Anyway...a popular kid was killed last week in a car wreck at the school I work at and the atmosphere was pretty much the same. They had kids talking to the grief counselors all day. Be careful out there, kids.

brad cook

4. That description is all too familiar to me.

When I was in high school, at least one person a year died in some type of auto accident. It's a pretty horrible thing for a community to have to go through, regardless of whether the student killed was at fault or not. I guess my message to high school drivers is to be careful and don't act like driving fast is cool; a car isn't a medium to impress your friends. Learn to respect your responsibility as a driver and you'll greatly decrease the chances of getting hurt.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    My friends 20yr old son just got in a serious car accident because of racing. He is lucky to be alive. He has huge, dark bruises and welts from his hand all the way across his chest, really ugly stuff that has to hurt like hell. I'm hoping this was his wake up call, his car is completely totaled and he could have been too.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Ditto, I used to live in Vermont, which had the highest teen driver mortality rate. Largely because kids would go up to Quebec to get drunk, and then crash their cars on the way home. It seemed every other week, another group of teens got into an auto accident, often it was alcohol-related.

My own friend was killed by a drunk driver when I was 14. It should go without saying that drinking and driving EVER! (Even when it's only a couple of miles, even a mile, even a few hundred yards) is a very bad idea. I know people who do it and they are fine, but if they do **** up, it will be the worst **** up in the world.

Street racing is very similar, one can do it for years and not have a scratch. The moment one **** up, it will be the mother of all **** ups and you'll be lucky if you can walk away from it.

Wow, I got really preachy...

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    There are 2 intersections within 2 miles of my casa that claim atleast one student from my school a year.

We havent had any this year, but 2 people died a couple years ago, so the stats are stil 1 a year average... we almost had a kid die a couple weeks back... it was his 2nd wreck in as many days...

:scowl:

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I thought the same thing.

But yeah, something similiar has happened in my school, and everyone reacts the same way.

BTW, who says they were street racing?

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Not to soudn insensitive, but they must have awefully bad drivers to flip their cars going 70 on a highway... it's really sad when people are killed by their own stupidity. I did some dumb stuff when I first had my license and I'm lucky I didn't end up in a stretcher more than once. The license at 18 thing is getting more attractive all the time.

10. Lord knows I got away with stupidities like that too but it's so random. You can get killed so easily just 'having fun'. Us guys at TB really need to look out for each other. Death has been a major theme here the past few days.

11. I think I know what you're thinking- straight shot 2 or 3 lanes at your disposal... but it's easy to lose control- and that's all it takes...

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    All the deaths don't seem to stop these morons around where I live. I was hoping a couple of these incidents would have an effect on these kids. For the most part.....nope.

-Mike

13. It's a real shame!

Kids are getting cars that are way to fast and way to powerful for them to handle. @ 17-19 most kids don't have the sense to back off a challange. Why are parents letting them have 300hp death traps????

14. They handle better than the 71 Novas we had when we were kids?

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

We live in the USA. People can choose one of many ways to kill themselves, it's a right.

-Mike

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Near my parents there was a high school kid who couldnt negotiate a 30 degree or so curve and crashed through a 6 foot subdivision fence into someones backyard. He was killed instantly by the fence. Estimated over 80 mph in a 40. Through the swath of destroyed fence you could see that the driver was close to destroying a large childs swing set. No one else was hurt. I had a hard time feeling sad for the kid. :meh:

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Driving is a privilege not a right.

18. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    i heard that thats what the initial thought was that they were street racing. now police are backing off that statement.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

"Whatsamatter, McFly.....chicken?"

brad cook

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I guess my school was lucky... we never had people die at all. Only two times I can recall my entire time being there. If you were a gear nut, we had an auto club (yours truly was president for three years) and we sanctioned races every other weekend at the local strip. Of course, some still street raced, but they never died. Some wrecked, but we advocated seatbelts so rigidly that they came out with nothing too serious. Oh yeah, none of them street raced after they wrecked either. Could be a wake up call.

Ray