1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two man silent rehearsal: headphone amp or basic mixer?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    The title explains most of it. I'm trying to set up a rehearsal environment at my friend's house where we can't make noise due to roommates and neighbors in close proximity. Since it's just the two of us, we can use my Line 6 Pod as an amp modeler for his guitar, and my VT Bass as a bass preamp (or my Behringer BDI21 if necessary).

I'm thinking we need either a basic mixer with two headphone outputs (or a single output and a headphone splitter?), or we need a basic headphone amp with two inputs. Both of these things seem to exist, but I'm not sure if there's a reason one would be better than the other for our purposes. Any advice, guys?

PS. I'm aware of Jamhub, but that seems a bit expensive for just the two of us, and for that kind of money I'd probably opt for a separate mixer and headphone amp anyway.

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    jamhub is nice for the expandabilty. You can get the basic 4 channel "bedroom" one and that comes with mic inputs for each channel. If a third or fourth guy eventually joins your sessions, (a drummer, and 2nd guitarist/singer), you won't need to buy any additional equipment. Also, a mixer might leave you fighting for volume controls on each channel.

Just some stuff to consider before you rule out the jamhub on cost.

3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Well I was thinking we could get a Beringer Xenyx 802 for $50, and if we needed to expand we could just add a seperate 4 or 6 output headphone amp for $50 or $100, which would still be about half the price of the jamhub.

I guess I'm just wondering... will the headphone output on a mixer like that be usable? And would splitting it be a viable option?

4. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    for two people, the splitter works alright. If you need 3 people though, a second splitter coming out of an already slit signal is probably compromising something.

Any audio experts have anything to add?

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Actually, here's a more specific question. Between these two options, which seems more viable? They both cost exactly $50 (though the mixer would require a $5 headphone splitter, not a big deal since the mixer would probably have more alternative uses as well).

8 channel mixer with headphone output, that we would split:
    BEHRINGER: 802

4 output headphone amp with two inputs:
    BEHRINGER: AMP800

(Yes, I know they're Behringer products and am aware of the risks. ;))

6. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Ah, gotcha. Maybe that would work for the time being. Appreciate the help!

7. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
  8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd go for the small mixer idea and see if a simple splitter would work for the headphones before I bought a headphone amp.

The Yamaha MG series of mixers is very good. I've got the MG10/2 and was using it for a private headphone mix in a full band practice, as well as using it at home for silent practice. The preamps are a little better than the Behringer stuff, although they are more expensive.

9. fep

fep

Oct 5, 2011
    San Diego
    When I find myself on phones with other musicians, it seems real important that each musician has their own mix. The bass player will want more bass and more of his vocal, the guitar player will want more guitar and more of his vocal. In my example, that's four channels that you'll want to create two mixes from. And if you want to record, then you'll want a third mix.

If I was you, I'd want to make sure that whatever you get is capable of that.

I can't see how you can make independent mixes from either of your choices.

10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I might be misunderstanding some of the specs, but I believe the AMP800 headphone amp can do two individual mixes. Which, for the two of us, should cut it just fine. But I might be wrong.

11. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    My son and I always practise with headphones. We use the pedals we want an feed the outputs into a very simple Behringer 802 mixer ($70). The headphones are connected through a splitter, which works fine for us.

12. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    If you use the "split headphone" output method, you may run into volume issues if your headphones are different. (ie different impedance drivers)
    If it's just two of you, I doubt you'd need different mixes. It's pretty easy to tell who is who when there are only two of you! You could always pan gtr to one side a little, bass to the other.

13. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Another thought... the pod has a 1/8" mini input. You could run the bass into the 1/8" mini input and split the headphone out of the pod. No mixer needed.

14. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    If we ran both the guitar and bass into the pod would the bass be subjected to the same treatment (amp modeling and fx) as the guitar? Or is using the 1/8" input treating the bass like it's an ipod, meaning I'd still use my preamp pedal in front of the input?

This solution seems the simplest, by far, if it would work out all right.

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Actually, are you sure there's an 1/8" input on the Pod X3 (bean)? My Pod is on loan at my guitarist's house so I can't check at the moment, but the internet doesn't show any kind of auxiliary input other than the standard instrument 1/4" input and the XLR microphone input.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to run my bass into the mic input (this seems wrong, somehow) either straight in or through one of my DI pedals? If this were possible it seems like we could set up a guitar patch for tone 1 and use a bass patch for tone 2, then use a headphone splitter directly out of the pod, eliminating the need for any gear beyond splitters and an xlr cable.