Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Mesa Boogie Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bradley joe, Jun 6, 2003.

1. 1. I just recently purchased a Mesa Walkabout and love it! The Mesa Boogie website leads me to believe that the Walkabout comes with a padded cordura gig bag but I didn't receive one with my purchase. I know you can purchase one separately. The dealer says it is a separate purchase (hmmm). I'm wondering if anyone has recieved the gig bag with their walkabout purchase.

2. Does anyone have any opinion or expierences with the new Mesa 210 or 115 cabinets?

Thanks, Brad

2. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    just got a walkabout, no gig bag.

love it!

works swell with my aguilar, give them a listen

bill

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I bought my Walkabout used, and it came with the gig bag. I would highly recommend it. Not only does it look cool, and allow you to carry it over your shoulder (carrying say, an Epifani T-110UL and your axe in your free hands!), it also does a great job of protecting the unit.

I have not played the newer cabs, but I have a Diesel 4x10, and I love it.

Congrats on a great purchase! You are going to love that thing! :D :bassist:

Tom.

4. i played them at the music store they sounded great together in fact i played the exact same rig a 210 a 115 and the walkabout i loved and wished i could of taken it home : ( but i dont got any money. o yea i couldn't get the chance to play around with it (the store closed in 5min and the employes were trying to shoo me out) well anyway how does the walkabout do on volume? and can you get a varity of tones out of it? how big of a place could you play in with that head? o yea am i better off gettin a GK head for 750 and having 700 watts of power for the same weight? and i am gonna play through 2 2x10 avatar cabs

5. I wouldn't recommend a GK personally. I get to do quite a few flight dates and needed a small portable head to take on the plane with me so I first purchased a GK 700RB. After playing a 5,000 seat church in Minneapolis that had a Walkabout/Mesa 410 rig and how realizing how great the tone was, I am purchased a Walkabout and am putting my 700rb up on Ebay if anyone wants to buy it. In today's world, most musicians are using in-ears or have really good mixes and you don't need a huge rig. Our trick is to keep stage volume to a minimum but let the house system rock and turn the subs up. So.....from personal experience, I wouldn't even think about the GK.

Thanks,
    Brad

6. I bought my gig bag seperatley from Mesa after buying the Walkabout used. I love that little bag and for $59 (I think) a pretty nice deal.

I run mine to an Epifani T-112, SWEET!

7. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I use a mesa powerhouse 1x15 and love it. Goes great with my mpulse 360. Definatly the best cabs around.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It is really quite impressive into a 4 ohm load. Loud enough for any practice session (even competing with two Marshall half stacks and a loud drummer), and capable of handling smaller venues without PA support. For gigs with PA support, I think that it would handle just about any gig.

However, if you (like me) occassionally get stuck in a situation where you are playing a show without a sound man, or with minimal support, and you are using the PA for like vocals and kick drum only, and hoping that your gear would cover the venue, you really need a lot of juice to cover anything but the smaller venues. Outside is even worse. Myself, I opt for the big rig, mini rig concept. Where I can get away with it, I bring my Walkabout and Epi cabs. For larger gigs, I bring my rack (complete with Eden Navigator, PLX 3002, etc.) and my EA cabs (I know have two VL-210's, and two VL-208's - possibly a 3rd VL-208 on the way as a spare!).

Tom.

9. Gig bag bought seperately. Useful but you could probably get away with any soft brief case 60 buck for the bag seems high to me especially since there's just enough room for the head and cables.

10. $60 is a little salty but what about that cool Mesa embroidering?

11. hb74

hb74

Feb 21, 2003
    Italy - Lecco
    I've just bougth a Aguilar Gs 212 and I was thinkin'bout to sell my SVT3Pro and buy another head. Mesa are very interesting...
    Wich Aggie cab do you own? Got some volume/cut-throu-sound problem.
    Do you think it's a good couple for rock stuff?

thanx H_B

12. I just ordered the Walkabout Gig Bag finally. I was also wondering about the Aguilar 112 cabinet's tone when teamed with the Walkabout. I was torn between a Mesa 210 cab and the Aguilar 112 cab (actually a pair of them). I talked with Mesa yesterday and had no idea their cabs were so heavy. They said the 210 Powerhouse is 70 lbs. and the RoadReady cab is 91 lbs. which is a lot for just 210 cabinets. Let us know what the tone is like. I unfortunately don't have a dealer close to me.
    Brad

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Walkabout can offer a very wide range of tones, and just by playing with the Gain and Master settings (which determines how hard you are driving the tube, among other things), you can go from very clean to nice and warm, to a great overdriven tone. With that in mind, I find that the Walkabout pairs up well with Epifani cabs, because they are very tight, clear and balanced, but also have a certain warmth to them that can be accentuated well if you drive the Walkabout's preamp tube a little harder. I usually use my Walkabout with an Epifani T-112 and an Epifani T-110UL.

Others here have have good results pairing the Walkabout up with two GS112's, though I have not had a chance to try that. I will say that it did drive my Boogie 4x10 AND 212XLT quite well, too, so feel free to use it with larger cabs, too!

Tom.

14. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    i have a GS 112.

an old rocker i currently play mostly jazz so really can't speak from experience re cutting through, but me thinks it would do great unless your guitarist (s) or drummer are out of control

bill

15. hb74

hb74

Feb 21, 2003
    Italy - Lecco
    Thank you. When I'll be so lucky to play a Mesa I'll post some comments about.

by HB