Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two middle fingers, fret hand ........

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sanctum, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Ok, my fret hand is my left hand. When I was younger I broke my pinky and ring finger on this hand. When I fret now, I notice that my ring and middle fingers angle towards each other, making stretching difficult, especially up near the nut. Just wondering if this is a common dilemma, or possible caused by my breakage years ago. Bascially, I've compensated my technique by using my pinky more, but it doesnt seem the optimal solution.

Cheers

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Break the ring finger the other wa. You'll be back in business in six weeks with no problems at all.

:D

3. What can I say? He's right, no pain no gain.

Seriously all the advice I could give would be to just work at stretching the two fingers apart while you play.

4. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    You didn't say how long you've been playing so it could just be that you haven't been playing long enough or practicing the right things to have your fingers stretch out properly. If they are 'just like that' I'm sure you can work around it. I've known a few people with pretty mucked up fingers that could play fine.