Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two more basses in progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wilser, May 13, 2005.

1. Hello, Here are 2 more 5 string basses I'm working on:
    figured maple back and top with chambered alder core and wenge accent stripe
    flamed maple euro maple
    stabilized fretless gaboon ebony fingerboard
    it'll have a bart NTMB preamp and 59j classic bass pickups and a custom installed passive switch.
    schaller bridge
    sperzel tuners
    [​IMG]

the other is:
    swamp ash chambered back with figured bubinga top and wenge/maple accent stripes
    you don't see the neck here because I was routing the graphite bar channels when the bit snapped, but it'll be bird's eye maple with a fretted birds eye maple fingerboard
    it'll have the same circuitry and pickups as the previous bass
    schaller bridge
    gotoh tuners
    (please forgive the smudges ....all my 'in progress' instruments seem to be smudged all over!)
    [​IMG]

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Nice! keep 'em comin'!

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Don't worry, I like.

Is that the ol' wipe with a damp rag trick or have you already finished the body? If so, what kind of finish is it? It's looking great.

-Nate

5. that's an epoxy coat I like to give before spraying lacquer. It helps build up quicker. oddly enough, that alder sucked the epoxy like a sponge, I might coat a couple more times.

6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Is it a sprayed epoxy or do you do the trick with the 5 minute stuff and a razor blade?

-Nate

7. umm, I've never seen sprayed epoxy, I don't know how that would work, since it's a 2 part. It's not 5 minute and razor blade, it's sys3 clear coat, and I use a plastic putty spreader ...I put a couple of drops and go a little at a time spreading until the wood soaks it. I then sand, and repeat until it's level and I can't feel the wood pores (or fibers). I then go to the lacquer. This is the first coat of epoxy, so it doesn't look too good, but it gives an idea of how the figure will look. You really don't have to force it in, as this brand is thin enough that the wood will soak it in. You can even see it comming through the grain in the control cavity inside.

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
  9. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    They use it in the automotive industry as a high build primer, among other things. Now that I think of it, though, I've never seen a clear epoxy finish that has been sprayed.

I'll have to look into the System 3 stuff. I've seen it before, but I haven't ever had a chance to try it.

-Nate

10. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Beautiful!!
    Love the wood combo!
    Novice questions:
    1) Where do you buy this epoxy?
    2) Is lacquer the only finish you can apply on top of epoxy?

Jon

11. there's a number of places that sell them online, any marine epoxy will do, I've used west system before, but it's less forgiving of the mixing ratio and it's also got an amberish color to it, this system3 (and also mirror coat) are almost 100% clear, it does not amber your finish. I buy mine at the local woodcraft just because it's close and I don't have to pay for shipping from an online dealer. Yes, I just spray lacquer on top. For transparent colored finishes, I use stains, then epoxy and then lacquer. I'm about to start building a blue stained bass, I'll post pics when I have the stain and epoxy ready (might take a couple of months :meh: ). But lacquer is not the only thing you can put on top of the epoxy. I've tested with spray poly also, and it worked ok. Other finishes might work also, but I haven't done anything since I'm quite happy with lacquer. I wouldn't do oil finishes on top, though.

12. 6 double coats of lacquer applied today, tomorrow sanding and about 4 more double coats. Then lay for 2-3 weeks before buffing (yeah, yeah, it's a dirty shop/garage).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That is simply gorgeous, man!
    How many basses do you build in a year and are they all commisioned works? Just curious...

Jon

14. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very nice. Where did you find hard maple for the neck with that figuring? Most of the maple I see with that nice grain is soft........t

15. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I really like that first bass. Stiletto-ish. For some strange reason, I've got GAS for a Schecter Stiletto.

17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Again, I dig your designs wilser.
    Always classy, yet modern. Very nice :cool:

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And how's the other one going? ;)
    This one looks nice so far.

19. :D
    Thanks for the kind words,
    not much progress on the other one, I've been working on the neck (grooves for CF and trussrod) and fingerboard (slotting and thicknessing):
    [​IMG]

The neck wood for the first one came from Gallery Hardwoods.

Will keep you posted.