1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Neck pickups together?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by maxthebassman, Dec 26, 2011.

1. maxthebassman

maxthebassman

Aug 3, 2011
    I have two old mexican fender jazz pickups i decided to wire in series together and glued together like the new blacktop humbuckers. Only issue is as i was doing this i noticed that they both had the same polarity. I went ahead any way because i got them for free. But before i start routing an old bass out for this monstrosity I wanted to see if anyone had ever done anything else like this before. i know it is going to be a really hot pickup and be muddy which is fine i'm just curious as to how much so and if there is any sort of precaution i should take in the rest of the wiring. thank you in advance

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It will work, but it wont be a humbucker, and will hum.

To stop it from being muddy you can wire it up in parallel.

If you can flip one pickup over in the cover, so the bottom is facing up, it will hum cancel.

That's assuming it's not the kind of Jazz pickup that has steel poles and a ceramic magnet stuck on the bottom. If it does, you cam flip the magnet(s) around.

Lastly, you can have the magnets remagnatized. I've done this for people who wanted two same polarity pickups to hum cancel.

4. maxthebassman

maxthebassman

Aug 3, 2011
    Alright, thanks for the assistance.

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Old mexi pickups are indeed the cheapie steel-poles with ceramic magnets glued underneath, and to top it off, they were the wrong size and weren't reversed from each other ; if you can pull and flip the magnets on one coil, then reverse the two wires of that coil, you'll get him-canceling.