Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two new basses in two weeks!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danksalot, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    You know how sometimes there are opportunities that you just have to take advantage of? Well two of those happened one after the other (less than two weeks between!) and this is what I ended up with:

New Warwick Corvette Standard

New NS Design CR-4M Electric Upright

I don't have any pictures of my new upright yet, but the pictures of the Warwick are mine.

2. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Pic of the Wick

3. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Now the EUB!

4. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Last one, a closeup!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i hate you:(

6. hahaha awesome man, congrats on getting a corvette:D I love those beauties!

7. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    congrats on your new tools....
    i play a cr5m
    was curious about your cr4m....
    did it come with good upright strings
    or electric bass strings?
    are there dot-markers on all your controll knobs?
    i had so many problems with my first ns
    that i sent it back....
    the second one i recieved was just as bad and went to david gage in new york immediately and the fretboard had to be planed and sanded!
    luckily, ns paid for it....everyone involved was fantastic, but i am forever wary from now on...
    gotta keep it, though...its the best eub i've found yet.
    cheers!

8. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    My NS came with the factory strings. They're longer than electric bass strings, but shorter than typical upright strings. They are flatwound too.

I haven't had any of the knob problems that you described on mine, but there is a place on the fretboard that has a tiny buzz, like it's not completely flat. It's inbetween notes though, so I'll never actually play there. (hopefully!):D What does it take to get this fixed? I doubt that Ned would pay for mine to get fixed, as I bought it as a "blem".

9. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    those factory strings are actually electric bass strings, just long cut, there's probably a bit of space between the windings just on the e string....
    i would suggest a set of d'addario helicore hybrids (medium or light tension)
    it's like 100 bucks but your bass will increase in tone ten fold. you can also install them by using the rear "slots"on the back, then passing the string through the holes, over the brige to the tuning heads....this seems to really increase sustain.
    and you only change those strings like every ten years or when they break, if ever...
    this might help the "bad" note you found...
    the factory strings are just plain too light for the scale...
    if the fretboard needs a plain or sanding, it can be done fairly quickly...
    (a couple of days)
    just find your closest ns authorized repairman and have it checked out...
    cheers!
    p.s. there are some great aftermarket gig bags you might want to invest in as well...the stock bag is not going to protect the instrument very well.

10. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Yeah,

I noticed that about the gig bag. I never put the stand in the bag with the bass, even in it's own bag, like it says to. I saw the hardshell case they have on their website, where can I find the aftermarket bags you were talking about?

Thanks,
    Danksalot

11. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    the hard cases on the site are way overpriced.
    also, i think the hardcase should allow space for the bass in a gigbag, not just custom molded to the bass itself.
    gard from bass central hooked me up with my bag, shipped second day for about 180.00...
    1 inch thick foam with a side pocket for the stand, and a separate pocket for a bowcase, and one more pocket for cables, etc...
    it's made by undercover cases in denver,colorado.
    i think it's a real shame that these basses come with cheap strings and poor quality cases.... why not sell them with the good components? at this price range, i would have gladly paid a bit extra, i ended up doing that anyway...
    i wonder if ned steinberger even has anything to do with the company at this point...i don't think that he's producing the u.s. series right now...

12. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    by the way, you can read my review of my CR5M on the electric upright bass database

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think he is. I think he just has to do with the NS Design basses.

14. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA

What a great site! I never knew that existed. Thanks!

15. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    not alot of people seem to frequent that site. i think it's an invaluable source for eub enthusiasts. i would suggest writing a review of your cr4m.
    cheers!
    d.k.

16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've been thinking of getting an EUB. I really want to wait about two years before I get it. I just got a 6 string bass and am trying to master it first.

How much is an NS Design 5 string used in good condition?