Two new basses...strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bebopdeluxe, Jan 14, 2005.

1. bebopdeluxe

Jan 14, 2005
    Hey to the forum...after years of giving the bass secondary thought (I am a guitarist who is, after over 25 years, finally deciding to upgrade a pathetic bass/rig combo), I am finally investing some $$$ in getting a better tone. Not being able to decide between a P and a J, I decided to just get BOTH - an '83 American P and an '86 MIJ Squire J. My new rig (just for grins) is a Behringer BX3000T and an Avatar B212 cab...$500 for the rig - pretty amazing...

Anyway, I am now thinking about strings...thinking that I would put flats on the P and rounds on the J...using the P for traditional rock/blues and the J for brighter stuff. First of all, is that a pretty solid way of thinking about it? I know that I could put rounds on the P, but I figure that if I want a brighter sound/attack, I'll probably use the J anyway.

And as far as choices (as a guitarist, I know that this is HIGHLY subjective), I was thinking about D'Addario chrome flats and DR hi-beams for the rounds. Knowing that there are LOTS of opinions out there as to what strings are the BEST (if there is such a thing), do these choices seem to make sense for the basses that I am putting them on and for the sounds that I am looking to get?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...
  2. Welcome!

I too have a P and a J and I use rotosund flats on the P and D'addario Exls on the J. The rotos are fantastic, but I would either go back to roto rounds or try some ProSteels by d'addairo. Depends how bright you want it really...
  3. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    If your P bass is not a fretless, I would try D'Adderio half rounds rather than flats. You save some loss of brightness that you get with the flats. I have tried flats on fretted and have been disappointed.
  4. bebopdeluxe

Jan 14, 2005
    gapupten -

Interesting idea...while the thought of using flats on my P (it IS fretted) was being primarly driven by the desire to get that "thump" - without the brightness that something like the Hi-Beams would provide - the idea of half-rounds is interesting. Given that the J will have the Hi-Beams, and be the axe that can do all the bright, bouncy stuff, will the half-rounds on the P still give me the thump that I am trying to achieve with flats? I'm not trying to go half way here - I am putting flats on the P to achieve a certain sound...and I really don't want it to be a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" type of thing....

Does that make sense?
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Even though I have never tried half-rounds, I've heard good things about them around here. There's still a tone pot on there to roll off highs, and with total flats, it might be a little too "dead-sounding".
    As for the DR, that's good stuff. I have Lo Riders on my 6er and I'm loving it!

And of course, welcome! :)
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Flats should sound like flats - if you want bright and zingy, play roundwounds.

(Actually, bass should sound like bass - if you want bright and zingy, play guitar! ;) Confirmed flatwound user here.)

Try a set of Fender 9050 flats on the P!
  7. bebopdeluxe

Jan 14, 2005

I hear you bro...that is why I made the decision, when I dedided to make the move to have a REAL bass rig and set-up, to do BOTH a P and a J...and since I am putting the Hi-Beams on the J, I figure that I've got the "bright and zingy" thing down there...

To be fair, the reason why I chose the D'Addario Chromes, as opposed to the TI Jazz Flats or some of the other well-liked flats around here (Labella Deep Talkin', Lakland Joe Osborn, 9050's) is that users talk about their even tone - which I really like...

Does THAT make sense?
  8. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    You are getting a couple of new rigs. You should check out your first thoughts. Strings are very personal, and in the scheme of things, pretty cheap. D'Arrario Chromes are great strings, I just put a set on my fretless.
    Worst case, you check them out and find you want brighter.. at least you have checked out the least bright.

Go for it.. Enjoy :p
  9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Your choices are good- give it a try! :cool: