Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two new basses...strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bebopdeluxe, Jan 14, 2005.

1. bebopdeluxe

bebopdeluxe

Jan 14, 2005
    Hey there...new to the forum...after years of giving the bass secondary thought (I am a guitarist who is, after over 25 years, finally deciding to upgrade a pathetic bass/rig combo), I am finally investing some $$$ in getting a better tone. Not being able to decide between a P and a J, I decided to just get BOTH - an '83 American P and an '86 MIJ Squire J. My new rig (just for grins) is a Behringer BX3000T and an Avatar B212 cab...$500 for the rig - pretty amazing...

Anyway, I am now thinking about strings...thinking that I would put flats on the P and rounds on the J...using the P for traditional rock/blues and the J for brighter stuff. First of all, is that a pretty solid way of thinking about it? I know that I could put rounds on the P, but I figure that if I want a brighter sound/attack, I'll probably use the J anyway.

And as far as choices (as a guitarist, I know that this is HIGHLY subjective), I was thinking about D'Addario chrome flats and DR hi-beams for the rounds. Knowing that there are LOTS of opinions out there as to what strings are the BEST (if there is such a thing), do these choices seem to make sense for the basses that I am putting them on and for the sounds that I am looking to get?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

2. Welcome!

I too have a P and a J and I use rotosund flats on the P and D'addario Exls on the J. The rotos are fantastic, but I would either go back to roto rounds or try some ProSteels by d'addairo. Depends how bright you want it really...

3. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    If your P bass is not a fretless, I would try D'Adderio half rounds rather than flats. You save some loss of brightness that you get with the flats. I have tried flats on fretted and have been disappointed.

4. bebopdeluxe

bebopdeluxe

Jan 14, 2005
    gapupten -

Interesting idea...while the thought of using flats on my P (it IS fretted) was being primarly driven by the desire to get that "thump" - without the brightness that something like the Hi-Beams would provide - the idea of half-rounds is interesting. Given that the J will have the Hi-Beams, and be the axe that can do all the bright, bouncy stuff, will the half-rounds on the P still give me the thump that I am trying to achieve with flats? I'm not trying to go half way here - I am putting flats on the P to achieve a certain sound...and I really don't want it to be a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" type of thing....

Does that make sense?

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Even though I have never tried half-rounds, I've heard good things about them around here. There's still a tone pot on there to roll off highs, and with total flats, it might be a little too "dead-sounding".
    As for the DR, that's good stuff. I have Lo Riders on my 6er and I'm loving it!

And of course, welcome! :)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Flats should sound like flats - if you want bright and zingy, play roundwounds.

(Actually, bass should sound like bass - if you want bright and zingy, play guitar! ;) Confirmed flatwound user here.)

Try a set of Fender 9050 flats on the P!

7. bebopdeluxe

bebopdeluxe

Jan 14, 2005
    HeavyDuty:

I hear you bro...that is why I made the decision, when I dedided to make the move to have a REAL bass rig and set-up, to do BOTH a P and a J...and since I am putting the Hi-Beams on the J, I figure that I've got the "bright and zingy" thing down there...

To be fair, the reason why I chose the D'Addario Chromes, as opposed to the TI Jazz Flats or some of the other well-liked flats around here (Labella Deep Talkin', Lakland Joe Osborn, 9050's) is that users talk about their even tone - which I really like...

Does THAT make sense?

8. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Hey-
    You are getting a couple of new rigs. You should check out your first thoughts. Strings are very personal, and in the scheme of things, pretty cheap. D'Arrario Chromes are great strings, I just put a set on my fretless.
    Worst case, you check them out and find you want brighter.. at least you have checked out the least bright.

Go for it.. Enjoy :p

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Your choices are good- give it a try! :cool: