1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two new fretless solos with my jazz band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Hi - I know it's been a little while - but I've been a busy lad recently playing loads and getting out around London with my kick ass new jazz band Big Fan. We've had a great response to our music live and it's a real rush play 'loud jazz' to some really good sized crowds (about 150 people etc) and it's all going really well. I'm playing my fretless exclusively in this band - so no double-thumb bull$%*& - I mini-disked our last practice on Friday and thought I'd share a couple of my solos - sorry I can't give you more, but this is just the start - this band is going places.

Thanks for you time

Mike

'Push' - Fretless Bass Solo

'Looper' - Fretless Bass Solo

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The second one sounds really good and cops the Jaco/Willis vibe very well. I felt like on the second one, you heard what you were playing before you played it...the result is very musical...the first one didn't get there for me. Nice work!!!

Will

4. Thanks Will - I agree with your comments and as they say, this is why you rehearse! Thanks for listening.

M

5. Big nebula

Big nebula

Feb 15, 2006
    Scotland
    Liked it alot Mike.London's got a great jazz scene!:hyper:
    Big Neb.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Excellent stuff, you always inspire me to get off that damn computer and start practicing! It also sounds like you've surpassed the chops stage, because some of your earlier stuff is sometimes too busy, too much notes ;)

7. Thanks V - I tell you, and everyone else - I'm actually sorry for putting up so much home-practice **** online - fast noddle wank fests etc - playing with other musicians is the only way this stuff really 'lives' and 'breathes' - it was never my intention to be some speed merchant just having blazing chops with no musicallity - the guys in this band are absolutely amazing improvisers and they are really helping me to take my stuff into a new area - I'm very, very happy to play with people of their standard and this positive new approach is really helping me to grow as a musician and a bass player.

Big respect

Mike

8. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    wow. mike, i must say, these recordings are alsome. How long have u been playing? and is Big Fan ur best band?

9. Thanks dude - I've been playing form 20 years - this is my 21st year (gulp!) - anyway Big Fan are one of my three bands and I dig them all for different reasons - there are some more Big Fan clips here:

http://www.myspace.com/bigfanband

http://www.munkio.com/music/bigfan/media.html

Have a listen - let me know what you think.

Mike