Two new Michael Manring recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Sep 13, 2001.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I just picked up Attention Deficit's new disc The Idiot King, and Addition by Subtraction by Scott McGill/MM/Vic Stevens.

I'm currently finishing The Idiot King as we speak. Both are very good examples of Manring's ensemble work. He is listed as playing "fretless bass, and Ebow," and that is an accurate description. He has defintely taken the EBow to a different level.

After first listen, I have to say that I like the Attention Deficit cd a little more, but I expect that the other one will grow on me with a few more listens.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I've also recently acquired the "+/-" ("Addition by subtraction") album, and I've listened to it five times now. I've always liked progressive, creative, mindbending music, and while I do think a lot of the material is INTERESTING, I can't honestly say I think it's GOOD. Progression is a good thing, but you have to take steps small enough for me to follow! :oops: It does have some excellent moments (like e.g. the rhythm experiment over the repetitive unison guitar/bass figure on track #2 at 3:57 and forward, or the entire 10th track), but overall it doesn't do it for me. Yet. :)

They are top instrumentalists, that's for sure though.
  3. I also have the Addition/Sub CD. I have to agree with Oysterman, although it is interesting music, I dont feel that this is Manring best effort.

Texas blueslinger Scott McGill?

The same Scott McGill who's bass player I'm going to take lessons from?
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  6. Nah, its not the same person.

The guy I thought he was is a great guitar player. He's awesome... I'll see if I can get a hold of a cd he's going to come out later and put an mp3 or two up. (With his permission of course)
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Oysterman, do you know if that guy has ever played with Bill Dickens? I have one of his videos, and the guitar player looks exactly like the guy in the picture (except with shorter hair), and the same guitar.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sorry Angus, I have no idea.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I dug up my "Addition by Subtraction" CD a couple of weeks ago to give it another shot. It took some listens, but now I'm all of a sudden in love with it! :) Very cool disc. I've also found that the drumming is excellent, as is the drummer's sound. Even if there are still certain aspects of McGill's guitar playing I can't quite understand, I really appreciate this album now.