Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two new Roscoes arrive!..pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    After 18 weeks (including Thanksgiving and Christmas), I picked up my two new Roscoe SKB 3006 basses yesterday.
    The details of the build up are in the thread "a day in the Roscoe shop". You can see pics of the woods I chose, the bodies as they were finished and the finished tops.
    The specs are as follows:
    Fretted: Spanish cedar body with exhibition quilted maple top, spalted purple heart fingerboard, maple/wenge/maple neck, Bartolini 18v system, and gold hardware
    Fretless: Mahogany body with exhibition burl/flame redwood top, unlined black diamond wood fingerboard, maple/purpleheart/maple neck, Bartolini 18v system, and black and chrome hardware.
    I've only had them for about 24 hours but from my initial playing as you can imagine, I'm floored. They are just awesome and the fretless is the best bass I've ever played period.
    I want to thank Keith Roscoe for his fantastic work and customer service throughout the entire process, Adrian Garcia for getting me a better deal on these basses than I ever thought possible and Brian Barrett for hooking me up with a great Incase double gigbag.
    I'd be happy to take any email questions about my experience dealing with Mr. Roscoe. I'll have nothing but the best things to say about him as a person and as a professional.
    Here are some pics of the final product. I'm sorry about the resolution of the photos but I've had to reduce the size of the photos to the point where they don't look very detailed. My digital photos always seem to bee about 450K in size and I can't put those up here. The photo sizes that are allowed here at our beloved TB seem pretty tiny and I have no idea how some of you guys are posting such huge and detailed photos. If anyone could fill me in via email I'd really appreciate it because you're really not getting a good look at these basses. If anyone would like some higher resolution pics, let me know or if someone could host some photos or tell me how to do that I'd be happy to forward them.
    Enjoy.
    Matt

2. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    They are beautiful. Way to nice for my gritty mits too play. Not to be too nosie, what ballpark of cash did each cost? I'm wondering if my credit limit would be crushed. Thanks Joe

3. absolutely beautiful. congrats. I know those things sound like a million bucks too..

If I were to buy those, I would have swapped the body woods - i.e. cedar for the fretless and mahogany for the fretted. Just my preference however.

enjoy. :)

4. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Wnderful looking basses, Keith sure does have a way with wood and his selection is beyond what I see elsewhere are far as the really nice wood goes.

Do you have pictures of the backs? I would be particularly interested in seeing the Wenge. You can send any or all the pictures to shawnherb@hotmail.com if you like.

Thanks.

5. Nice way to end the year!!!! :bassist:

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    What a beautiful set of basses!
    Do you notice a difference with the bass that has Wenge in the neck instead of the Purpleheart? I have though about having Wenge in the neck like yours along with a Wenge board for a little while now, but curious if you can hear a noticable difference.

7. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Right now, I don't have enough experience with each bass to make a good call on the difference between the wenge and purpleheart.
    Due to the differences in the body woods, tops, top thicknesses, fingerboards, etc. I don't know that I could ever really say one way or another. I think you'd have to get identical bodies, fingerboards, etc. with the only difference being the center neck laminate to do an accurate comparison.
    All I know is that they both sound killer.
    The fretted is unbelievably consistant accross and up the fingerboard. It is punchy with a good bit of snap but retains a really full and resonant tone like nothing I've ever played.
    The fretless is deep, rich and full. Seriously agressive mids and lower mids. It is a MONSTER. Killer sustain and "mwah".
    I'm still playing both basses dead flat on my pre-amp and on the basses themselves. I'm sure when I start boosting, cutting, and adjusting the pick-up blends, these things are going to be genuinely scary.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hey Matt, how does the Roscoe fretless compare to the Peavey fretless??

;)

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Very nice, Matt. I really like the look of the fretless' fingerboard.

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've got a SKB-3006 and I love it. I just ordered a SKB-3005 fretless and can't wait!!!

BTW, when you were at Keith's shop, did you see my cobalt blue stained quilted maple body sitting somewhere??? Did it have a neck on it??? Huh??? I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas to come.

11. Bassmanbob

I'm so consumed with my purchase that I forgot to say congratulations! They look great; I bet they play and sound great!

Welcome to the Roscoe family!

12. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congrats! Those are some beautiful basses! IMO you've got the best of both worlds! A Roscoe fretted and fretless! Keith's a great guy to deal with. I've been playing Roscoe's for going on 9 years and his customer support is great! Anytime I hear of someone complaining about his support I put them on my "don't do business with them" list! If you can't get along Keith, I certainly couldn't tolerate you!
    I've threatened to take a trip to Greensboro to pick up a bass Keith made for me in 2000 and again in 2003 but the timing just never worked out for me. I've got to make it up there. I hear he's wood stash is awesome! :hyper:

13. Bassmanbob

I went there in the summer of '03. He had every stage of bass production lying around: litterally from tree trunks to finished basses. And just about everything had a nice thin layer of saw dust. It was truely amazing!

14. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Thanks to everybody.
    Mark- The Cirrus is still a great instrument but the Roscoe is a completely different animal. The Cirrus requires a little more onboard EQing and has a more upper midrange voice than the Roscoe. The Roscoe is huge from top to bottom and has a much fuller mids, low mids, and true low end. I still really like the Cirrus and if it weren't for my financial manager (wife) I wouldn't sell it but unfortunately, I've got to put some funds back into the account
    Bassmanbob - I saw a couple cobalt blue quilts while I was there. An SKB3006 and an LG3005. They were both really nice. No necks on them yet but they were in the set up room and there were several necks on the finishing table that were being prepared. If you're waiting on a neck with a nice birdseye maple fingerboard, you're probably pretty close to being done. I saw a couple of those that were fretted and looked ready to be assembled.
    JOME - The wood stash there is incredible and has freshly been updated. Keith orders or bids on woods every day and it looks like he just got in a big order. In the "cutting room" as I call it there's wood stacked from floor to ceiling. Lots of cool stuff that I could have spent another day going through.
    Thanks again to everyone.

15. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Those are beautiful basses, congrats and Happy New Gear.

16. Matt,
    Some killer basses man! Congrats!

You've got me wondering if I should get the same fretted fingerboard as you. I love how it looks!

Looking forward to some more in depth reviews as soon as you break it in.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting. Never played a Roscoe with a wenge middle stripe. Only PH.

If you have personal webspace either with your ISP or by purchasing cohosted services, you just put the pics up there and refer to them here such [ IMG ] http://www.mywebserver.com/images/image1.jpg [ /IMG ]

(Without the spaces between the braces and "IMG"... did that here to keep it from reading it as markup language. :) )

note: The link above doesn't work, so don't click on it... the board automatically makes it a link.

Oh, and if you haven't guessed, I'd love to see big pics. ;)

Congrats on two unbelieavably stellar Roscoes, and yes, Adrian IS one of very best dealers anyone could ever work with. I also have a DUB I got from Brian, so we share that, as well. :)

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice pair of new basses. Too many strings for myself, im not cool enough, but im sure you are. Congrats.

19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Congrats Bro and Happy New Year!!