1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Two NOS Norton Customs Basses for Sale.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Brent Norton, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hey Gang… Been a long time, hope you’re all doing well.

Well after a couple of turbulent years including a year in Chicago, I’m back in Detroit indefinitely and wouldn’t you know? I have a couple of customs on hand from the Norton Customs days to unload. Here’s what’s available… And apologies for the “archive” links; I still own nortoncustoms.com, but the site is down indefinitely.

I hope I am not violating the forum rules since I went out of business years ago. Selling these as an individual.

The She-Devil Bass:

Description: Rich trans red, burst to a bold black. A thin red pinstripe outlines the bass' gamba shape, ending in small devil points on the top and back of the instrument. Finally, the finish was leveled and polished up to a wet-look gloss.

The instrument is also loaded with innovative, quality hardware. From the bottom up, the bass starts with one of the new Norton Endpins for a strong and lightweight foundation. The Wittner lightweight tailpiece is attached using flexible aircraft cable, and the quality French Despiau bridge blank is fitted with one-piece aluminum adjusters from Mike Pecanic and dyed black to match the tailpiece and ebony fingerboard. Finally, the bass is topped off with new Norton "Lighter-weight" tuning machines, individual nickel machines that employ aluminum peg shafts to reduce weight. Thomastik Superflexible strings, in the solo gauge tuned to orchestral pitch.

$3000 including stand.

The Rooster Bass:

Description: Not only was 2005 the year of the Rooster, but it also happened to play host to the 2005 International Society of Bassists (ISB) conference in Kalamazoo, Michigan, June 6-11. I exhibited this bass (along with another custom) at the show.

After the deep red base color was applied and shaded, I handed the bass off for the artwork. The rooster artwork and lettering were executed by Dawn Cooke, an incredibly talented and imaginative painter and tattoo artist who knows more than a thing or two about Asian art. Dawn chose a color palette that compliments and plays off of the instrument's red base beautifully. Her knowledge, skill and her ability to put tasteful personal spins on classic ideas and aesthetics have resulted in a truly unique instrument. After Dawn wrapped up her work, the bass was finished, rubbed and buffed to a vivid, deep high gloss.

As with all NC basses, this instrument isn't all show and no go by any means. The setup was performed with primarily the pizzicato or slap player in mind. Currently outfitted with Silver Slap strings. In keeping with the overall look of the bass, the bridge was dyed black and gold-anodized aluminum adjusters were fitted to compliment the gold individual tuning machines and endpin.

$3000 including stand.

**Pics two posts down**

These basses are sold as-is in new old stock condition, they have been stored in a climate-controlled environment this whole time. The basses must be picked up, as I no longer have the tools, materials or facilities needed to ship them. Pricing is firm. No trades.

-Brent

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey Brent, I remember those basses well! Beautifully designed and executed, both of them and bargains at that price. Looking forward to the pix...

Good luck! ;)

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
  4. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Wow! Just yesterday, I was trying to find your old website. No luck. Now today here are two for sale. You've had the coolest custom basses I've seen. I remember Vlad the Impaler. Absolutely beautiful finish work! Good luck with the sale. Bad timing for me bump.

5. symcbass

symcbass

Nov 8, 2007
    Scotland
    Hey Brent, greetings from bonny Scotland,hope things are well with you.
    Beautiful basses & Brent's a top guy to deal with, bought a bass from him many years ago, thoroughly recommended, good luck with the sale.

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hello Sy - great to hear from you, and thanks for the plug! Likewise, hope you are doing well. Still have that Shen?

7. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey Brent! Long time, no see! Hope all is well, gimme a call when you can...
    Mike

8. symcbass

symcbass

Nov 8, 2007
    Scotland
    Yeah, still got the Shen, It's a great sounding bass, really played in now.
    Strung with Olives and plain guts now, It's taken over as my main gigging and recording bass as It's so great sounding! Great to hear from you man.

9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Dr. Mike! Hey man, shoot me a PM with your number as several phones later I no longer have it. Look forward to chatting.

Great to hear about that bass, Sy. Was just getting the business going then... Seems like ages ago. Glad that Shen has served you well.

10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Brent,

What were the basses "originally"? Shens? Christophers?

Thanks

Louis

11. mikelang19

mikelang19

Mar 24, 2010
    Can't wait to see these works of art! Where in Detroit are you located?

12. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    LouisF: Both basses were based on Christopher 200-series basses.

mikelang19: Links to pics posted in the 3rd post in this thread. Located in Ferndale, just north of Detroit if you're not from the area.

13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks.

Louis

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Happy Holidays Brent!

15. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks, Chef - Back atcha!

16. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Howdy folks - hope the first couple months of 2012 are treating you well.

Just an update: My old pal and former luthier partner from the Norton Customs days, Tom Murray, is currently storing the two basses in his workshop across town. That said, if anyone has any interest (serious, please) in viewing either or both of these instruments, please contact me and we can work something out with Tom.

Thanks!
    Brent

17. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hey gang -

Well, after several semi-serious bites and no less than three full-blown scam attempts, the two basses are still available. If you can give either of these instruments a good home, get in touch with me.

Thanks!

18. zip128

zip128

Dec 2, 2012
    Brent: I would like to buy the Rooster Bass. My name is Larry Jensen, I'm from Cannon Falls MN. eMail [email protected] Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

19. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    zip 128: I sold the Rooster just over two weeks ago. I still have the Devil, but am not willing to ship. If you can make it out to pick up, we could have a deal.

20. zip128

zip128

Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks for your response Brent. I already have an upright bass that I play, It was the artwork that really got me going for the Rooster Bass. I wish I'd have been quicker. Thanks again though. Larry.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021