Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two notes together - double stop technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by malibu, Dec 26, 2003.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    a bassline has the following combinations of notes played together --

A-E
    E-B
    D-A
    G-D
    B-F#

they're all fifths - would the consensus be to just use two fingers to strike two adjacent strings simultaneously while both being fretted/stopped simultaneously,
    or more like a pick would you hit across the two strings with a single finger motion.

a keyboard player would just strike the two keys together with left hand fingers -
    but bass fingerpicking vs. plectrum users would be playing this bassline slightly different ?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are several ways you could do it.

I would probably rake the strings, starting at the lower string and raking in an upwards motion with my index finger.

But you could use your thumb for the lower string and your index for the higher, or you could strum down with your thumb across both strings, or slap both strings, or use your index on one string and your middle or ring finger on the other.

Do whatever works best for you.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    Nice suggestion I wouldn't have really thought of --
    I have mostly considered a thumbrest since I have never used my thumb - I'm finally just starting to get to use my pinky more -
    but that really feels natural using the thumb opposed to the index finger over the two strings.
    Thanks!

4. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I found useful using index and middle together.. plucking two strings instead of one... to me that's the easiest way.... it allows you to play those double notes quite fast

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Double stops can sound very "pianoish" by raking the strings downward with the flats of your nails.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    No matter what fingers you use, there are three other variables to note when you sound these double stops; Root then fifth(strumming down with thumb), fifth then root(stumming upward with index finger), root and fifth(thumb and index pulling away from fretboard).

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    phil,I think that using index and middle together is better than thumb and index pulling away from fretboard... it sounds better and it's easier to play... still I don't understand why so many people like the thumb and index techineque above mentioned... you also have to change the right hand position when doing this...

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Even though I am dominant on the pick, I use a thumb and 3rd finger technique to pick adjacent strings as well.
    I also use this technique to pluck non adjacent strings, for example to [ when playing in E ] pluck the {fifth} B on the A string and the G# on the G string,

Then changing fingering to the next series
    I will pluck the C# on the A and the A on the G and then changing fingering back, will pluck the
    D on the A string and the B on the G string.

It also sounds nice if, instaed of doing this simultaneously, one alternates the thumb and 3rd back and forth.

I then retrieve another pick from my handy dandy
    pickguard, where I stashed about 20 of them.

I eventually retrieve these 20 from the floor as needed.

:)