1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. DI/Cab sim

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Im not sure if this is the right forum to start this thread but, here we go. I've been waiting for this pedal to arrive in the US for awhile now. I just put in an order yesterday and should have it by the end of the week. I plan to use it as a di to the board and for my IEM's. I've got to say that Im really impressed with the demo's online. The bass clips from Kamalo are pretty good and some of the guitar stuff is stellar. I currently use a custom rack unit which houses an fdeck hpf3, sansamp bass vt, custom mid circuit and di out. I love it and have no complaints but, I actually think this will be even better since it has actual mic ad eq options to fine tune things. My band does the loud rock thing but, we also do stripped down acoustic gigs where we just go direct and I need much different di sounds for each. I have a strong hunch that I'll be using an 8x10 sim for the rock band, and an eden cab sim for the acoustic gig.

What really got me is how you can add in tube power amp sims and get some real tubey sound grit to them and the fact that they have even got the sound of speaker cone breakup modeled. The 5 band eq will really be great. I wanted to get the single rack version but, Im not going to pay $1000 for it. Although, the $2000 version with all the options would be damn sweet! If I was always going ampless, I would probably make that investment after hearing the demo's of that unit. More to come. Maybe I'll figure out how to do demo's of this unit with my zoom recorder.

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I got this last night and I am sold on it already. I ran post eq out of the master fx loop send of my genz sm9.2 and it just rocks. I also ran from my boss compressor directly in with just as good results. The cab and mic sims themselves are in the line6 realm of quality which isn't bad but, thats where they start to part ways. The tube amp sims really bring the sounds to life. You get more fullness, attack, harmonics, etc with the tube amps sims. The mic position options are more realistic as well. With the line6 stuff you mostly are just adding room reflections. The torpedo actually changes the tone that you would hear when moving the mic and doesn't add in the fake, overdone, fast delay sound. The eq section is another bonus. There is one for bass and one for guitar. The bass version seems to use wider band widths than the other. The eq points are perfects and can be changed quickly and easily. I actually put an sm57 on my ampeg svt210av cab, into a mixer, listening through earbuds. I dialed up the fridge cab and sm57 mic on the torpedo and get pretty much the same sound right away, only without and bleed or room noise. The topedo even feels like you are playing through a real cab and listening back through headphones. At this point there is nothing I would change about this thing. I made a setting with the eden 4x10 sim and it really sounds like the cab. Again, having the tube amp section really makes the cab sims work. Without them, I would still like this unit alot but, the amps really add in the wow factor for me. Im betting that if I ran this unit in front of my genz and only engaged the tube section, I could get a really authentic tube amp sound. After I have more time with this thing, I'll try to figure out how to record it directly into my zoom camera. Actually, there is a couple of things that would make it more perfect for me. 1) rackmounted 2) XLR out. But, since it is in pedal form, I'll be able to just bring the torpedo and compressor pedal to acoustic gigs and get a great sound. I may not want to drag out my full rack for those gigs.

NKBassman likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is interesting to me since switching to the REDDI for the house instead of micing my cab. A little more than I want to spend, but I'm putting this on the short list.

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I was really looking at the REDDI. The clips sounded really good but, in the end, I prefer a mic. But, we all know the pitfalls of mics. I've got practise tonight where I'll be going straight to the board with it, no amp. I should be able to record directly into my zoom camera as well. You know, I still need to really experiment with this thing but, I actually plugged it in and had a sound that I would be totally confident using at a live gig in less than 5 minutes, without even looking at the manual. I took 10 more minutes and programed 3 other sounds to try tonight. Keep a lookout on this thread. $550 is still pricey for a di but, when something really works, you tend not to scoff at the price.

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Just got home from acoustic practise. I love this thing! We use powered jbl prx635 3-way tops and one powered jbl prx18xlf sub. I love these speakers for vocals, guitar, even drums but, to be honest, I've never loved them for bass. They are too clean. There is a shallow but wide dip in the mids centered at roughly 1.2khz that I eq out but, they always sound too smooth for bass. I've gotten useable sounds with a mic and with my custom DI (HPF3, vtbass v2, custom mid, di) but, it was never quite perfect. My old pa used a pair of EV eliminator dual 15 tops and pair of mackie 410 subs. That killed for bass but, we arent' hauling all that anymore.

This torpedo sounded great right from the start. Even when I mic'd my cabs with an sm57 or E609s, I would get an alright sound but, still have some annoying frequencies because I had the mic up again the grill. It was either that or, back it away and get more mic bleed. With this torpedo I get the more natural sound and feel of a mic but, none of the bad stuff. It cut through without being annoying and supported the band enough without being too big on the bottom. Just like my sealed cabs. The guys in the band even noticed the difference, and you guys know thats a rare thing. I did end up running it into a passive di box to get an xlr to the board. I'll probably mount it to a small board with the di and compressor for acoustic gigs and then bring that out to electric gigs, where I'll run out of the genz's master fx loop send, into the pedal board. Way less convenient than my great custom rack piece but, this just sounds good enough to be worth it. If you are playing in a band that goes all di to the board, you want one of these. When I was switching between some sounds my drummer even commented that one of them sounded exactly like a hartke cab. He was right. Him and the guitar player both said that the 8x10 sim I was using sounded very similar to what my rig sounds like. Again, I wasn't asking for opinions or compliments. I really do like this unit and will probably try to record a few of my real cabs with it to model them. Yes, it can model your actual gear, apparently. If that works well, I'll probably be the first person to have an nv610 sim. How cool is that?:smug:

6. astack

astack Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Curious and lurking.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This sounds like something I might want to try. The REDDI has an awesome high end but I'm a 5k rolloff kind of guy. My only concern is it stepping on the REDDI or my tube Ampegs in any way. I just want the rolloffs, not necessarily a speaker sim that compresses or dirts up the sound. But it seems like fun and I might be interested. Might be more interested if I wasn't already buying a small fortune in gear this year ;) but hey...

8. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

iirc the C.A.B. has a balanced, 1/4", TRS output.
    A 1/4" TRS to XLR takes up less space than a DI box and XLR cable.

9. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I would need a very long 1/4" live. I tried an xlr to 1/4 adaptor but got too much noise.

10. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

hmm, ymmv then eh?

I have used 50 ft. 1/4" TRS to XLR without noise issues ever. Adapters? Yes, they have been an issue with crackling, most likely due to weight strain on the output jack.

11. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I just uploaded the few extra bass cabs that don't come installed on this thing. Nice additions. The more I use this, the more I love it. I think that most anyone would be hard pressed to hear the difference between some of these sim'd cabs and the real thing, as long as the real thing was recorded in a good sound room. I really need to figure out out to model my berg and ampeg cabs to see what kind of results I can get. No regrets here.

12. Tom Cat

Tom Cat

Jun 4, 2011
    +1 everything said by Kringle 77.

Torpedo CAB is way under the radar for something that looks like a pedal, it's so much more.
    Sounds great right out of the box. You can use it DI or in front of a pre, and deep, wow, full midi control, user patches, everything one could want, you just got to get outside your comfort zone and learn how to use a new tool, it's worth it. I could make a career out of this but I'm trying to avoid that.
    Use mine with an ART Pro Channel rack pre bypassing the tube input going directly into the compressor - parametric EQ - small amp - small cab.
    Simple, very effective and more quality tones than I could wish for.

Kringle, let me know if you develop a patch from your NV610. I miss the sound of mine but not the weight.

For DI I'm considering Torpedo CAB - Basswitch pre - compressor and if I ever get a brain cramp I could control CAB with a Roland FC200 midi pedal but that's a long dark path to go down. I rather dislike midi but for those who need it - unlimited control.

13. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Played around with my guitar rig this morning and this unit just smokes! I tried capturing a digitech pedals speaker sim but, I can't really figure the capture function out. Im admitedly not very good with this stuff, especially for a guy who works with technology everyday. I'd really like to capture some of my cabs though so, if anyone has any help for me, I'd take it.

14. Tom Cat

Tom Cat

Jun 4, 2011
  15. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    No, but I've been looking around on the site.

16. Tom Cat

Tom Cat

Jun 4, 2011
    The Torpedo forum isn't all that active for CAB users. It's my impression that the members already know alot about the higher end gear and how to use it but , the owners of Torpedo regularly monitor questions and do respond quickly.

17. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

kringle77,

Go to the product page for the C.A.B., click on the downloads tab, grab the Torpedo Capture software, both Mac and Windows versions are available, you should be good to go.

18. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I did an impulse updload of my guitar amp today but cant get it to load from "user 0" to the preset section or anywhere else that will allow me to use it. Very confusing.

19. Tom Cat

Tom Cat

Jun 4, 2011
    I haven't tried to load recorded cab sims so I can't offer first hand advice but with other patches they had to be loaded and moved in the editor.
    Tried that yet?

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I've already added more cabs from them. I just can't get my captured cab to load anywhere useful. It's there, I just can't use it. It's really annoying me. Im waiting back for a response. Love the unit though and used it again tonight at practise.