1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Octave Scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by alexmoore10, Feb 24, 2008.

1. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amplifiers, Elites Strings and Cosmic Ears IEMs
    Hi there.

I am teaching scales at the moment and am struggling to find a nice fluid way to teach two octaves.

Every book I have looked at seems to be very dependent on either the E string or the G so if anyone has any suggestions for say a G major scale please could you let me know.

Thanks

2. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amplifiers, Elites Strings and Cosmic Ears IEMs
    Thanks for this

I might be being a bit slow though but can only find one octave examples on there, it's two octaves where I am falling down

Great site though!!

3. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Here is a basic two-octave G major scale. You can modify this pattern to create other scales.

G ----------------------------------------7--9--11--12
    D -----------------------------7--9--10---------------
    A ---------------5--7--9--10--------------------------
    E --3--5--7--8----------------------------------------

----i---i---r--p--i---i---r---p---i---r---p---i--i---r----p

I use slides to where I use the index finger twice in a row.

Hope that helps.

4. The above way is perfectly valid, but it can be done with fewer shifts. I also find index-to-index shifts to be a little awkward. The way I was taught do a two-octave G major scale went like this (with shifts as marked by the "S" at bottom):

Code:
    G----------------------------9-11-12
    D------------------7-9-10-12--------
    A-----2-3-5-7-9-10------------------
    E-3-5-------------------------------
               S        S

5. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Good point. Notes is notes. You should always play around with different approaches to fingerings to find what is most comfortable for you.

6. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Thanks to everyone for all their help

7. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    "Bass Fretboard Basics" by MI has about a Bazillion 2 octave shapes, with and without slides and skips. Great manual.