Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two of the same pickup on a bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jul 14, 2005.

1. I have a question. I would really like to get my hands on a Spector Euro 5 LX in bitchin Black Cherry, but reading the specs I was thrown off. Apparently they have two of the same pickup on the bass (EMG-DC's). Why is there two of the same pickup. Wouldn't that mean that each individual pickup will sound the same? Help me out please! 'Cuz when I get it in a couple of years I need to know whether I should order a different EMG with the EMG-DC or not! Thanks guys!

2. Well, the two pickups are in different positions, so they won't sound the same. The harmonic content at each position will be different since the relative amplitudes of the various vibrational modes on the string will be different. The neck pickup should pickup more of the fundamental than the bridge pickup.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

it's not that uncommon for both pups to be the same in a bass.

4. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Yes, most dual-pickup basses have two of the same pickups. Things like P/J combos are obviously different, but if the pickups look the same, they almost always are. The tone comes from the placement of the pickups.