1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two ohm daisy chain question. Gallien Krueger, Genz Benz content.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rappa29, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Amp: Genz Benz NeoPak 3.5 2ohm
    Cabs: Avatar Neo 210 (4ohms), 2 GK Neo 112 (8ohms)

How would I connect these cabs to run all 3 at 2 ohms?

The GK cabs have 1 Speakon full range input. 1 Speakon gk biamp input. 1 1/4 inch full range input.

The avatar cab has 1 Speakon input and 2 parallel 1/4 inputs.

I was thinking:

amp output 1 --> 210 (4ohm)
    amp output 2 --> gk 112 (8ohm)--> gk 112(8ohm)

This is an even 4ohms at each output. But I'm not sure I can daisy chain the gk cabs together because they only have the one 1/4" input each.

I was also thinking:

amp output 1 --> 210 (4ohm)--> gk 112(8ohm)
    amp output 2 --> gk 112 (8ohm)

Since the 210 has parallel 1/4" jacks. Just not sure if there's any potential weirdness of running 2.6ohms from the one output and 8ohms from the other.

TIA.

2. The full range inputs on your GK's are most likely parallel.

I would run a speakon to the first GK, then use the 1/4 from that cab to the 2nd GK

3. monokeytoe9

monokeytoe9

Aug 25, 2008
    Texas
    I'm no expert on GK specific, but from what I've always read, mixing cabinets of different ohm ratings isn't advisable. I'm sure there will be a lot of people weighing in.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Each DRIVER will receive 25% of the total amplifier power in this instance. 125 watts per driver. No problem doing this. The amp doesn't care about the individual speakers, just the total load.

Where it becomes a problem is if there was a 4 ohm 110 and a couple of 8 ohm 110's. In this example, the 4 ohm driver would receive 50% of the total power while each of the remaining drivers whould share the other 50% at 25% each. With big amplifiers, it is very possible to overload a single driver like this.

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I've never owned a bass head so forgive the naivete but don't most bass heads have mono amps, meaning it doesn't matter if you use both outputs on the amp, you can use one output and then daisy chain the rest of the cabs for the same ohm load, correct? This is how the Aguilar AG500, Genz-Benz shuttle, Markbass LMII, etc. works right?

In which case it shouldn't matter how the OP wires it?

6. So I'm okay then regardless of how I daisy chain them because I have 4 drivers getting equal 125w each totaling 500w@2ohms.

7. You are correct my NeoPak is a mono amp. If I understand Agedhorse's explanation correctly, it won't matter how I chain the cabs because I'm getting equal power to 4 drivers and not exceeding the 2ohm load.

8. That's basically right. You can certainly daisy chain these cabs with this amp in any configuration and it will be fine.

Just remember "driver" means speaker, not cabinet.

Your 210 cab will get half the output power of the amp (250 watts) and each of the other cabs will get 125 watts.

9. Yeah, thinking of my rig in terms of total drivers vs cabs is new to me, but it makes perfect sense now.