two options on Spector bass setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Okay. Right now my new 4 string spector euro is buzzing on the e string at a number of the lower frets. I'm attributing this to the fact that the bass came with a .95 guage string, which I promptly switched to a 1.00, and this string is also detuned to D, as this is how I play. It also buzzes a bit on the a string (actually tuned to A) on the lower frets. Now my options are:

1. Take the bass to a tech and let him (or her) handle it. Now this is the easiest option, but I am a bit unsure about taking it to guitar center (where I bought it) for a setup, because I don't know if I trust them. does anyone know of a good tech guy in the eastern Long Island, New York area? Possibly with prior knowledge of Spector basses? this might influence my decision.

2. Do the work myself. It is obvious that this bridge is a bit different from conventional bridges, but I read about a few successful adjustments in other posts on this forum.

I think this is how I would approach it (please correct me if I am wrong): First thing would be to lower each of the four saddles all the way, because they may be a bit crooked right now and this would give me an even plane to begin with. Then, adjust each set screw evenly until the action is high enough to where I like to play. Then, loosen the set screw on the bridge facing the electronics, and adjust saddles (by pushing with fingers?) so intonation is correct (might need advice on this). Next, check for buzzing on any frets, then raise action accordingly, which would entail setting intonation again afterwards, I suppose. Then, if I still can't relieve buzzing, begin to adjust truss rod and see if that is the culprit.

Are these the correct actions/sequences that I should take? Anyone done something similar? Anyone set intonation to low D on a Spector Euro?
    thank you in advance for any and all replies.

2. Okay, I gave up on setting up the bass myself (not enough experience to work on a $1500 dollar bass). So I took it to guitar center. Apparently, they have a private company come in and set up instruments, and the company was highly recommended from a number of sources. I'm getting the bass back wednesday, is there anything I should look for to ensure that the work was done properly, obviously besides playing it? Best way to check truss rod? I'll post when I get it back. Thanks everyone.