Two outdoor festival gigs in the same afternoon tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My band managed to book two outdoor festivals in the same afternoon and 3 or 4 of the band are on one of the bills twice as the play in another band that is also on the same festival - so they are playing 3 sets!

So the Brunswick Festival in Hove has 'Jazz in the Park' fom about 13.00 - 18.30 and some people in our band are on at the start.

Then we have a gig on Brighton sea front - between the Piers starting at 14.00 till about 16.00 - playing at the Cuban Solidarity Festival!

Then we are due to appear as the closing act of the Brunswick Festival at 17.00!

So after doing a 2 - hour set I will be rushing to get my gear across Brighton an Hove to make the next one!!

I'll try an get some photos as both are nice places to play and will let you know how I get on - but if any TB'ers are in Brighton or Hove tomorrow - look out for me!!
  2. Bruce

Have fun tomorrow, unfortunately I cannot come down to see you play due to prior committments but good luck anyway.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Phew it was hard work, but ultimately satisfying! Two very different gigs - the first one was a real struggle - bad PA, bad sound and then it started raining!!

But by the second gig the sun was out and there was a huge crowd - we played much better and lots of people danced down by the front of the stage - we were the only act who got anybody dancing at all - and the organisers loved us!!

The previous acts had included some members of a London professional Salsa/Latin Jazz band and they told the main organiser that we had a great rhythm section - which was a nice compliment I thought ...or maybe they just didn't like our horn section and singer?? ;)

Lots of people complimented me on my bass playing - I actually ended up spending most of my time at the front edge of the stage - usually I lurk in the shadows at the back! But it is just so nice to be outdoors in the sun playing Latin dance music for a happy crowd!! :)
  4. Bruce

Excellent, sounds like a good time was had by all.

5. Well done Bruce! Sounds challenging, but it sounds like it worked out well and you had a helluva a time!:)
  6. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Cool, Bruce, it sounds like you had a great's a good thing that the two venues are pretty close, eh?

Brings me back a couple of years to a trip I took to Brighton (and a few other UK locales) - we watched "Priscilla - Queen of the Desert" on the outdoor screen between the peirs - us and thousands of others and a whole lotta Stella. i can just picture what the scene would have been like at the Brighton town!

7. Sounds like a great gig, Bruce! :cool:

Did you get photos?

I thought about driving out to the gig, but with the gas prices and all...
  8. Bruce Lindfield

My girlfriend did start taking photos on the earlier one on the seafront - but it was a bit grey and started to rain - so we didn't get the camera out for the second one - by which time of course it was bright sunshine and loads of people dancing etc. Typical!!:meh: ;)