1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two-part question about synths

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Mar 20, 2009.

1. So two semi-related questions about analog synths... First, what gives them that super fat sound? I'm not asking "what can I do to get that sound?" (among other things an octaver would help), but how do synthesizers get that sound? For example, an old (or new) Moog synthesizer doesn't have an "octave pedal" feature (that I'm aware of), yet it still has that fat sound. My second question is what are multiple VCO's used for? I've got a Moog FreqBox, which is a single VCO. The Little Phatty has two, and the Minimoog has three... What's the point in having more than one? Thanks, guys.

Brian

2. I think your second question answers the first. IIRC, if there are 2 VCOs, you can set them an octave apart and so on.

3. Yup, more Oscillators means a thicker sound. Imagine the sound of 3 basses playing together with perfect intonation and tone. Analog synth.

4. Cool. I thought that might be the case.

Brian