1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

two pickup - four control What did I do wrong? I want passive deluxe precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jimnto, Jan 7, 2012.

1. jimnto

jimnto

Jul 15, 2007
    I searched - didn't find so I am asking.
    I took out the preamp if my American Precision Deluxe and I have four control spots to fill. I wanted V-T for each pickup. So I wired it according to the drawing (attached) and what I find is adjusting the volume of either pickup affects the tone, and also that the tone controls seem to be in series (I can turn the volume down on one pickup to off, but both tone controls affect the sound).
    If I have one pickup off, turing the tone down makes it very bassy and turning the 2nd tone down makes it even more bassy. The reverse is if I turn one tone up it is trebly, but turning the other tone up makes it even more trebly. And turning the other pickup back up affects the tone too (but that is what i want - makes sense - turning a pickup back on affects the sound - that is good).

Help - I just want to hear the pickups clearly as they should sound.

That being said - the bass sounds pretty darn good!! 6653247513_f9288cff74.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That diagram is all wrong. The volume pots are wired wrong for one thing.

Go to Duncan's website and look up the stanard Jazz bass wiring. Wire the volume pots like that.

Regarding the tone controls. You can't have two passive tone controls without them affecting both pickups. When both pickups are on, the two tones are in parallel, so they both do the same thing.

You can try wiring it like a stack knob Jazz, but without the stacks. You need two resistors to help isolate the pickup/tones from each other. However, the resistors lower the output and raise the impedance which can darken the tone. This is why Fender stopped busing that wiring.

3. jimnto

jimnto

Jul 15, 2007
    The bass does sound good so..?? weird eh?

I will look at the wiring on the site you mentioned.

Is there any idea for a four control set for these two pickups?? I need ideas because I would like to use all the existing holes.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Jim N (toronto)

4. You've just put the pickups in parallel with two tone pots.
    The volumes don't do anything, and the tones are hardwired as masters.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Look on Rickenbackers site for their wiring scheme. Their basses are 2 pups with individual vol/tone controls for each pup. They also utilize a 3 way switch, but it should at least point you in the right direction.

6. Standard VVTT is done like this. But keep in mind that the tone pots are going to interact.
    3698846205_ca2bdabedc_o.