Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two pickup Sterling "promised" by EB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, May 11, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

http://www.intermusic.com/article.asp?ReviewId=1556&ArticleTable=Reviews&SubCat=19&Channel=GTR

the current Sterling review doesn't start until page 5 of the article.

I'll be very curious to see how they set it up - where the pickups will be located (I would think one would have to stay in the current Stingray/Sterling location to keep that character) and how they will be controlled/combined. How will it be different compared to an L-2000?

Maybe it will come out at Summer NAMM.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I didn't see where it said about a new 2 pup Sterling. It's just a review of a Sterling, unless I missed something.

3. craigb

Since Van Halen's departure, his signature guitar has spawned the whole Axis range and for many, the duo of Silhouettes have been left behind. Furthermore, although Music Man is promising a twin-pickup Sterling later this year, it's still the StingRay that grabs all the headlines.

That's where the mention was. Now one thing I didn't think of is whether this is an older article being recycled and they are talking about the release of the piezo-equipped Sterling.

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Sounnds like a cool idea. Hopfully it sounds better than the Sabre. That bass had no power compared to an L-2000 or a Sting ray. I tried a few & wanted to buy one but it didn't sound good.

5. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Two pick-up Sterling ... cool idea.!

Now if I could talk them into a Flame Maple or Quilt top on that baby and I would have my "Boutigue" Bass. I wonder if anybody from EB hangs around here.

Tony

6. Ernie Ball are also going to release budget versions of the Stingray made in China- Guitarist says for £200.

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Wow, That's pretty bad!!!!! Hope they gonna be good. They're probably gonna be a Jay Turser/Aslin Dane w/ the Music Man headstock & logo. Be afraid, be very afraid!!!!

8. craigb

Wow, I can't decide if my response is "more power to 'em" or "that's a darned shame".

"More power to 'em" because they wouldn't be doing anything different from Fender with the Squier and Standard lines. With the recent boom in Stingray copies I can see where they'd like a piece of that pie. And if I were going to buy a cheap one with all things being equal I'd rather have one with Ernie Ball/Musicman on the peghead. Then again the MTD K4 is pretty sweet functional equivalent already. And if it makes more profits for them so they can continue making 'Rays and Sterlings then I'm all for it.

"That's a darned shame" because it kind of deflates the cachet of the brand. Right now if it's a reall EB (I know purists think of post-EB kind of like post-CBS for Fenders but not as bad) then you know it's a super quality axe. A copy by the company can have the exact peghead, details, etc. and be cosmetically the same without being at the same quality level. Kind of takes away from the "exclusivity" of it.

I guess I really lean towards "more power to 'em".

If PRS can release a Korean made guitar (licensed by PRS) why not a licensed by EB/MM bass.

9. Whats that in US dollars?

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    200 British Pound = 284.314 US Dollar :D

11. ...but I'd dare to guess that they'd be selling in the US for about $200, seeing that we pay extra taxes, inexplicable import charges, whatever dumb price increases in the UK:(.

the cheap Stingray pictured in Guitarist (p41, shown next to a budget Axis guitar with a nice maple top) looks like it has just two controls on the chrome control plate- I'd guess tone & volume, so it would be passive- but I'm sure lots of buyers will fit active circuits.
    the pickup looks right.

the bass shown is black, with a white scratchplate and maple fretboard, which I think is unusual for current EB 'rays- it looks like the mid-80's one played by Simon Gallup in the Cure in Orange video.

12. ?
    are EB's sales in decline?
    I see Stingrays and Sterlings everywhere - I'd have thought that they're selling as many as ever....

13. craigb

As far as I can tell Ernie Ball is in fat city right now selling basses. I don't think Stingrays have ever been as popular as they are now. I know at least when I bought my now-departed Stingray a couple of years ago they seemed to be in short supply because of the high demand. But if the economy starts to slide then I think purchases like high-quality basses (generally classified as luxury item by those who don't suffer from GAS) are one of the first things to go.

14. I'd guess the budget Ray is just a way to cash in on the market of people that want a Stingray but can't afford a real one.

I see EB basses just about everywhere nowadays.. hell.. I bought one. :)

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    music man used to make a bass called sabre if I remember. I was like a stingray but wuth 2 P/U

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It was actually more like a G&L L-2000 proto-type. 2 humbuckers, same mini switches. I played 2 of them @ 2 different times.

1st I compared it to a StingRay, & the Saber sounded weak, no output. I thought it had a dead/dying battery.

2nd time a friend of a friend had one & I compared my L-2000 to it & the same thing. The saber had NO POWER!!! No balls, so to speak!!!!!

17. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    If they sold a chinese stingray for about 350 cdn, I'd definately pick one up. Seeing as the american's go for about 1500.

18. The Sabre sounded weak because the pickups were wired in parallel. Much the same way that the Stingray was supposed to be a modernized Precision, the Sabre was supposed to be a modernized Jazz, with a pair of low-output pickups.

Anyhow, changing the 5-way lever switch or 3-way toggle so that the pickups were in series would give it a much beefier tone.

19. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    But the Sabre has a series/paralell switch like the L-2000.

20. According to the EB website, that's not a series/parallel switch--it's a phase switch, which would make the tone even thinner.