Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Piece bridges ala Alembic / Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A9X, May 23, 2004.

1. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Does anyone know someone who makes a quality, preferably brass, two piece (tailpiece and bridge) at a reasonable price? I've checked my usual sources of parts and haven't found one yet. I'm having a custom bass made, and am looking into this as an option.

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Check if Jerzy drozd in Spain is willing to sell one of his models, one of the nicest 2 piece bridges I ever saw! Then again maybe warwick could be more willing to do that and be a bit cheaper. :eyebrow:

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    That is definitely bad Kharma there Dharma....
    Here you are paying big $$$ for a custom bass
    and you are too cheap to pay for a good bridge!

Ask your luthier to put the best two piece bridge in there
    that money can buy, then suck it up AND take his advise.
    ...don't be cheap, buy what he recommends...that is why he makes custom basses....then when you work, earn, and pay for it, then enjoy it for the rest of your life knowing you
    didn't go for the cheap...you went for the best, period
    end of story!

ANY QUESTIONS??????

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd actually hoped people would be constructive in identifying some parts for me to look at that might have slipped below my radar.

I asked for one at a reasonable* price, not cheap. I want quality, but the only one I've found has been stupid money (price + exchange rate + shipping + customs etc) at which price I'd be better to get something made locally, but didn't really want the hassle. My luthier has his own preference for parts, and I disagree with some of that based upon my own experience, but I like his (wood)work and he is willing to integrate anything I like into the, ie my, design.

Cheers

* I've deliberately not defined reasonable in terms of $, as that is very flexible, depending on the quality and design, but I've learnt long ago that the best is not neccessarily the most expensive.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1.

(but not too sure that is too likely... hows about "single bridges" a la 2Tek and ABM: they too are deeper in the body, providing growl, even if they are not as nice)

6. About the Warwick bridge, I know that a signature model from ESP (one of Tetsu's basses, I'm talking about Japanese artist series www.espguitars.net) has this bridge without the W on it, but I don't know jet who manufactures it, some people say schaller, some people say gotoh but I couldn't tell.

Perhaps its cheaper than a bridge from Warwick, if you can manage to know who makes it.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Stewart McDonald use to offer these for sale in their catalog, perhaps they still do.

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hey Dharma, if you happen to be located in the EU - you might wanna give <a href="http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-basses-contact.htm">Jens Ritter</a> a call :) I have no idea whether he actually sells his bridges, but I'm sure they fit the bill for what you're looking for.
    If you happen to be around Chile, I think it'd be worth something to drop <a href="http://www.alfonsoiturra.com/home.htm">this guy </a> an email. He's got gorgeous basses with those kinda bridges as well :)

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    jerzy- no doubt!

Great solid bridge with looks to boot!

give em a shot