1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

two possible buys now which to make

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderthrupeave, Apr 25, 2009.

1. locally I have two what I think great buys aviable to only have the cash to buy one. The current rig I have is an amper svt 3 into a musicman HD210 and peavey 115. I have never been happy with the sound. Now with the svt3 I have gone through 4 different cabs with this head and never gotten a sound that I was really happy with. Well the possible deals are a berg NV610, now I dig the ampeg tone which I might be able to get with my svt3 and the 610, the other is a carvin b1500 and a brx212. With this I would have an amp that is much more of what I like to deal with just basic EQ and go, and it would allow me to mix and match the cabs I want depending on where and when I am using them. In the end they will both be around the same price. Any suggestions.

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    If you tried the head with four different cabs and never really liked it, maybe it's time for a new head.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The NV610 is hailed by Ampeg lovers as the one that sounds closest to the old Ampeg 810 cabs that sound so amazingly better than current ones. If you get that, you won't want to mix and match cabs. I think a lot of your tonal problems are caused by your mixing and matching cabs, moreso than the head. The 3 Pro isn't my favorite but it's a good solid head with a strong tone. But mixing cabs is often a crapshoot because most cabs just don't play well with different cabs. So I like using either matching cabs in a stack or using one big cab with all the same size speakers. The Carvin's a good head but I don't think it sounds better than the 3 Pro, though it does have more power (big deal). But the 212 won't crank air out like that Berg. If it were up to me, I'd keep the 3 Pro and get the Berg.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    +1 to what JimmyM said. The 3 PRO surprisingly sounds really good paired up with the SVT 410HLF - surprise surprise! It also sounds really good with the 810e. Keep the cabs you use from the same brand/model series - in many cases, the model series were designed to work with each other. Using one cab from brand A and combining it with brand B usually results in you liking one cab better - one cab much louder than the other, and a very strange/muddy sound on stage. The Berg NV610 and the 3 PRO are going to move more air than what you currently have and will give you that Ampeg vibe. A 212 will not give you what you want and will basically do something tone wise like your current rig. Grab the 610 and don't look back!

5. +10 I use either 1 Avatar 410 Neo as a stand alone or add a 2nd 410 Neo (also Avatar) and have no complaints with my Pro III.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 again to JimmyM. In fact, re read his post.

7. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    +1 again to Jimmy on the 3 Pro.

The 3 Pro is a great low weight, low maintainance comprimise to a real SVT. My main gigging rig is (2) 3-Pros each pushing a 2x15 cab.

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Yeah, go for the Berg. It will change things a lot. If you still aren't happy, save a bit and sell the head for something different.

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Loving my 3Pro with a Berg 322
    (2-10's, a 12, and a horn)
    Was thinking that it would be cool to try a NV610 as I can't recall anyone saying anything bad about them other than size and weight
    (but they were sissy a$$ girls ;))