1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Pre amps in one bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by liljawn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Working on a project i've had in my head for awhile. Wondering if maybe someone on here could answer a question or two. What I am going to do is wire up two pre amps in the same bass one a Pbass pre amp the other a Jbass pre amp. I have a stu hamm urge II that im taking apart and redoing. Im going to expand the pocket on the body so it will have more room to house the two pre amps and also expand the slot for the batterys.

So what im doing is cutting a 2nd jack hole and going to have two pre amps running side by side and 2 jacks for input one for the jazz one for the P.

I plan on shielding the body well but if theres any complications any of you would know of let me know.

Why am I doing this? Because my stu hamm is pretty messed up cosmetically and i want to refinish it. I just took all the all the paint and finish off really nice one piece body underneath it all. I also hated the sound of the stu hamm once i became more aware of things.( It was my first bass got a steal on it ) So im going to make something funky and wierd out of it.

Thanks, John

2. my advice would be to use one jack and a switch between the two preamps. that way you can change preamp without unplugging. and less of a mission to change it back if you have to.
    will they be running of the same battery? Can i ask why you would go to this effort?

3. I think it ll be better for battery life to have them go to there own separate battery's. Would it be possible to wire the two pre amps into the same 8volt with out to much trouble. hmmm

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Good Luck !

5. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    You might even be able to setup a blend knob...much like the blend between pickups.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar enough with your bass or the setup you are after...How many knobs per pre and if there are more than one or two how will you keep all of it straight?

my two pennies,

Loren

6. Old Tobias Growlers have had a dual preamp, check the idea:
    Coil N -> 2band eq -\
    Coil B -> 2band eq -/ Blend -> Vol ->

7. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what preamps are those?

9. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    What is it you're trying to do that you can't do with one preamp?

10. ( SPOKEN WITH A THICK BRITISH ACCENT )

Well of course it's TWO Preamps now, isn't it !!!!!!

You know ...it's Exactly like... well you know....
    the volume at ELEVEN ! now isn't it !!!!!

11. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    but why not make 10 louder?

12. my bass has two jazz pick up pockets and one p pick up pocket in between. i have the pre amp it comes with normally in the stu hamm urge 2 but im not happy with it so im going to see what i can come up with. to put in there instead...

13. schnigges

schnigges

Jun 29, 2008
    luxembourg
    IMO those 2 input jacks are a very good idea. I've read that billy sheehan's got two jacks in one bass, so he can setup 2 amps and produce the bass notes on one, and use some overdrive or whatever on the higher notes.
    You do whatever you want of course...

14. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Dude....I got 3 preamps in my bass. 1 per pickup.

15. I hadnt heard of that but the two input jacks was my buddy who plays guitars idea. Really is a quite a few things you could do with that.

16. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I'll have to second that.

Love this idea. Cuts you back to 1 output, but leaves you with both preamps.

--[edit] - Might want to think about adding a "cutout" switch for each pre.

17. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    A three way switch would keep the control down. with the positions Neck PUP, Both, and Bridge. Again my concern would be the number of controls on the thing.

18. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ...these go to eleven.

19. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    sorry what I meant to say instead of PUPs was Pre A, Both, and Pre B....Hmmm kinda liking this idea I may have to try this!

20. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    when i read this i actually thought this could be a pretty good idea. i'm thinking more of a two pup bass. each pup could have it's own preamp. so no more settling. you could dial in what you want for each pup and then blend them. a little overkill... but could be cool.