1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two Precision Basses in one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Apr 10, 2009.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I've been messing around with a two pickup P and have decided on this. It'll get another pickguard; tried a Hagstrom single coil and Dano lipstick by the neck, but prefer this way.

The controls are two 6-position rotary switches, one for caps (.1, .069, .047, .033, .022, no cap) and one for pickups (off, sc, both, split P, off, off).
    I'll probably remove the cap switch and just use one cap; the amp EQ can do what the switch does.

It started out with the two switches being delegated to individual pickups with "Off", and "On" with a choice of 5 caps. That seemed like it would add flexibility by having one pickup bassy and the other trebly, but it doesn't work as well as you'd think.

The single coil is 1/4" closer to the neck than it would be on a '51-'56 P, not enough to make a big a difference.

Also going to change the neck to one with a rosewood 'board. It looks 100x better that way.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've wondered about adding an old style P pickup to the regular P; is there much difference in the tone between the pickups on the same bass?

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Not sure about on the same bass, but when I compare my '51 RI to my other post 57 style P's, it always comes across sounding a bit thinner.
    I imagine that if you mounted it close to teh neck though, it would give a nice thump and can add a real smooth bottom to a split coil mounted closer to the bridge.

4. Windfall

Windfall

Apr 9, 2009
    Wow, that's an awesome project. Post pics of the progress!