1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Questions for you tinkerers out there...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The first is, where can I find a Hofner-esque bass tailpiece? I found one at northcoastmusic, but it's seventy bones and is a genuine Hofner. I'm talkin cheap knockoff stuff here. I keep wondering where Turser and the like get em from. Any ideas?

The second thing, and I'm not sure that the basses forum is the best place, but I'll ask here anyhow- I may need to widen a neck pocket a bit on a project I'm doing. Bearing in mind that I don't have (and don't wanna buy) a router or any costly equipment, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks, TB.

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Her's one for $50: http://www.guitar-parts.com/products/868/Hofner-Bass-Tailpiece.htm

Hammer and Chisel.

3. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  4. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    You can do it with sandpaper and some patience :)

5. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    +1
    You could probably get it done with sandpaper, but there's a lot could go wrong. Keep in mind, any mistake that increases the depth of the pocket or makes the overall depth uneven will either change the neck angle or create a wobble or uneven contact between neck and pocket - all of which can ruin the body. I suppose it depends some on how much of an adjustment is needed (just loosening the edges enough to relieve a too-tight fit is a sanding job). But there's a lot can go wrong and a luthier shouldn't charge much (My local guy will route a whole new pocket for $40). Good luck tinkering. ;)