Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two questions from a guy who thinks too much...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What's the easiest music in the world to play?

Do you think musicians and non musicians listen to music differently? Is this a problem? Why?

2. AC/DC is pretty easy
    and um
    anything i make up myself :)

and yes i think normal people listen to music differently than us. For instance, my wife knows a whole lot more lyrics than I do. But I'll go "wow that song has a good bassline" and she'll go "whats the bass line" and then we laugh.

3. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    Non musicians often just hear one big Thing when they are listening to music.
    Musicians hear all the separate elements.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why did you use the term "normal" for non musicians?

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    DITTO!

6. I really don't listen to bass lines all that often... I generally listen to the music as a whole, and pick out what I like the best. For example, I'll listen to guitar for RHCP, drums for Godspeed You Black Emperor, bass for Radiohead... and thats only when I bother to listen to the instruments.

I dunno, I've always though of myself more as a msuician then a bass player.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The easiest music in the world is whatever the player find easiest.

I say this because I used to play in heavy modern rock bands all the time, and i did pretty damned good. It was easy for me to do anything I wanted in the song, and it was all good. I just played what anyone else would. But then I joined a more classic rock influenced band, and I found my style. Since then it has been nearly impossible for me to play the same stuff I used to. I find myself doing things that dont fit the music, even though they would in another setting. My John Paul Jones, Robert DeLeo style just doesnt fit in nu-metal, and its very difficult for me to adjust when I do play with one of those bands.

I think musicians and non musicians definetly hear music differently. Most people I believ hear the bass and the drums and the guitars and the vocals, granted they often dont know the difference between most of it, they can do an ok job of picking them apart. I feel that what a musician can do is recognize, and more importantly feel the relationship between the parts. We can do a better job at picking the parts apart, but besides that, we can feel how it all goes together and really apreciate the mixture.

On to another point, no two humans hear music the same. IMO.

Peace
    Nick

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The easiest music to play? I don't know, I think each of us can approach things in as complex as simple a way as we choose. It also depends on your playing style. Reggae, for example, is not that technically intricate but I know some players that just can't nail the feel of it - it's just not what they're made for it seems.

As far as the second question, I think that musicians and the general public definitely listen to songs in a different way. I remember someone defining by saying that most people don't listen to music, they listen to lyrics. There's probably a lot of truth to that. Now I enjoy a good lyric as much as anyone but I think that non-musicians are often not cognizant of everything happening in a song. Also, when listening a musician, I'm hearing new stuff in old songs all the time. I find there's always something popping up that I haven't noticed before - a different way to see the texture of a song, or a part I had overlooked. I think as a musician you can explore a song a lot more.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I know what you mean about the lyrics.

I love Eminem. He is one of the few rappers I like. (Outcast and Busta Rhymes are cool too) I listen to his singing in every song, but not for the words, but the feel.

One thing Ive noticed is that when he raps, it all flows incredibly well. Its all fluid and even melodic which is something you dont hear in alot of rap which is often just rhythmic talking.

He also has some cool lines backing him up in his songs.

On top of that, the actual verses are like stories; he is a poet in the truest sense. A controvertial poet who says some unfriendly things, but a poet none the less.

The new album is pure genius!

Peace
    Nick

10. Lyrics are extremely important to me, too.

Whenever I first bought the Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, I would lay in bed and just read the lyric booklet along with the music.

The singer is the most human element of the band... the average person can't always comprehend what the bass or guitar is doing, but they can always appreciate the vocals. I think as musicians, its very important that we understand that.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Muzzle is a great song.

If only I hadnt "lost" all my cd's, Id be listening to it now.

Peace
    Nick

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nevermind, I downloaded it.

Peace
    Nick

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That little piano ditty that you play by rolling your knuckles on the black keys.

Often they do. It can be a problem. Here is a wordy reason why:

Many musicians (especially intermediate level) get caught up in the complexity of a piece or genre. Example: I wish I had a nickel for every musician that started looking down on AC/DC once they learned to play a few songs by Rush or Yes (dated example). And, most of us have run into jazz and/or classical players who look down on everything else. However the bottom line is, music is first and foremost about emotion! The author of a recent Soapbox column in BP mag asked us to recall the thrill we got from music before we became musicians. I totally agree: when it comes to *appreciating* music, it doesn't make a bit of difference whether we understand the chord changes or the time signature or the instruments or any other technical facet: all that matters is, does the music give a thrill when we listen to it?

On a number of occasions, someone has said to me "I'm no musician, but I like this [band/song]". I happily remind them that being a musician gives me no special advantage in this case. Musical training is important when performing or composing music. When it comes to appreciating music, all you need is ears.

14. I think non-musicians focus on lyrics more than musicians do. In my own case, I don't even pay much attention to lyrics; most lyrics don't mean anything to me, anyway. Just like any other written word, they're open to personal interpretation, and no one hears them the same way or assigns them the same meaning. I choose to assign them no meaning at all. It's all about the sound to me.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    music that is close to and loved by the performer, imo.

i think everyone listens to music differently. the trick to making something good is to have something that appeals to a wide range of listening styles and approaches. vive la difference! :)

16. I guess the easiest music to play would probably be the folk music of whichever country you choose. I know some of it isn't that easy to play, but, in general I think most people's folk music is played by adequate musicians that just play so people can dance at a festival or tell a story.

Musicians I think listen to music while non-musicians for the most part just hear it. I don't think it's a problem, but, I can not understand how some people I know almost never have music on in their house. I really don't understand it. Even if someone doesn't play an instrument, if they love to listen to music, they still think like musicians, IMHO.
    A friend of mine keeps saying he wants me to show him a few things on bass or guitar, and he's 40. The desire is there. Maybe he's a musician who missed his calling the first time around. I also believe that if you love music, it's not a hobby, but, part of you. Maybe we (musicians) are more sensitive to life?

Mike J.

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know what's the easiest music to play, but the hardest is (according to an older BP article).....*drum roll*

Bulgarian wedding music. :p

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The easiest music to play is that one note song off the Tenacious D album. It's one note and 20 second long.

Everyone hears thing differently. A person with some training can probably get the how of a bit of music more easily than another with no training.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Correction, its one note that he frets and bends.

Bending the origional note makes it another. Its at least a 2 note song.

Peace
    Nick

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Either way it's still really easy. I guess if you tried to play it and do the inward singing thing, that would be harder. :)