1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Questions... Knobs and Mudbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M.R. Ogle, Oct 5, 2006.

1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Well, I know someone on here will have the answers to these.

1) I have a 50's P-bass that has obviously newer domed Fender knobs on it than it originally came with. The knurling is finer than on the original early 50's editions. Does anyone make a repro set of these coarse-knurled dome-top knobs? I just can't see paying $200 for a pair of real ones, but I may have to go that route eventually.

2) I had an old EB-3 with the infamous (mudbucker) big ol' pickup on it. I actually found the deep sound had a certain sonic usefullness when used to deepen-up parts in recording. Again, I've seen the DiMarzio Model 1 and the Epiphone look-alike versions of this pickup all over, but I'm afraid they wont have that deep bottom, that they've designed these pickups with a more focused tone as is the current desired sound. What pickup should I buy to get that sound, without paying through the nose for a 60's Gibson original?

Thanks a lot. :bassist:

2. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Well, I can see that Bob W. thinks the Epi has the full-pit o'mud sound... maybe I'll buy his old pickup?

No info on vintage-correct coarse-knurled knobs, huh?

3. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    ?

4. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021