1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two questions (mostly regarding Fenders)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lobsterdeth, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Is a bass like this one

[​IMG]

still available in some way? I've never seen a sunburst jazz with a block inlayed maple neck and fretboard.

Also, I played a 5 string Deluxe Jazz Bass at a store and really liked it, but at 700 bucks I'm afraid I might get buyers remorse, so if you had that kind of money what would you buy? I might take it as a suggestion but I just wanna see what other options I have, doesn't have to 5-stringed though.

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    700 bucks is hardly something to call "that kind of money". Nah, serioulsy, get a geddy and just go with Carbajal (yes, the guy who has been consistently taking away collector's value from vintage instruments) and have him refinish it.

Black blocks were available in the early seventies, and sunburst has always been a standard color.

You could always buy a neck with block inlays and bolt it to a sunburst body. Where exactly in mexico are you?

3. fenders can be hit or miss; i know that all too well. my advice is save up 50 or 100 bucks more and get a used stingray or used pedulla rapture.

:bassist:

4. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing the refinishing stuff, but I don't know who the hell is Carbajal. Also 700 bucks is plenty of money if you're in school, working and have to pay your own basses man. >___>

I tried getting a bolt on from eBay but I cant find any that isn't super expensive, I'm in Tijuana btw.

5. $700 is a lot of money in Mexico. In parts of Mexico doctors and lawyers make $500 a month and they live very nicely off of that.

lowsound

6. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Iamlowsound, I dont want to go political here, but that's certainly wrong.

Lobsterdeath, been there, done that (school + buying basses!). I was making fun of carbajal, he's a jerk that consistently refinishes/refrets/modifies vintage guitars in mexico city, and more than once you'll hear people saying that carbajal went over their bass, as if it were something to rave about.

Look, you definitely want blocks. And you definitely want sunburst. Allparts necks are 250 bucks. And there are a couple of loaded 62 reissue jazz bass bodies on the bay for around 400 bucks. That's 650 bucks. You can do better if you choose to go used. Send me a PM and I'll explain to you where exactly you might find what you are looking for.. For CHEAP!

7. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Lobsterdeth, not death.

Also, I didnt know nothing about Carbajal heh.

Thanks a lot, PM sent. (yeah, I got that from the bass seller forum)