Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two questions: (scales & practice)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PTBassMan, Jun 3, 2005.

1. PTBassMan

PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    1) Been reading posts on the bass scales, but I guess I am still confused. Every guitar store you go in they have chord charts for the guitar. Is there such a thing as a scale chart for the bass? Either online or in stores? Even though I've been reading these other posts, I need "visual" help also.

2) Are there any good excersises for learning good hammer-on/pull-off using scales. I want to learn to get max speed from left hand on fret, while minimizing "plucks" with my right hand. I prefer the sound of playing with fingers over using pick, although I m learning to use pick, just so I can do it.

Thanks

2. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I guess you could get chord charts in shops, but they're far more common for guitar. Try looking on the net, but if you know what sharps and flats are in a scale, you should be able to work the patterns out, which would far more useful that just remembering shapes.

With regard to hammer ons and stuff, you could try just plucking the first note on each string and hammering on to the other couple of notes on that string, before moving on up. That's just one of those things that comes with a bit of speed, try some exercises for your left hand.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - guitar and bass are effectively the same over the 'normal' 4 strings - just look at the bottom 4 strings on any guitar chart....?

But as the last poster said, it would be very easy to make your own chart and the act of doing it, will be like "extra practice and should help you get this kind of thing in your head. :)

4. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    I would reccomend getting a teacher to help you learn scales and more.

Other than that, for a visual aid. There is a book I picked up a few years ago caleld The Gig Bag Book of Bass Scales. Has 180 scales in it. It is in both noation and tablature too. I dunno where I got it though, I think Sam Ash, not too sure.

5. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    yea, that site should keep you busy for now

6. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    daves bass page is very good for that or the bass grimouir i dont think i spelled that correct but if you search it you will find it.