Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two questions.

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    OK, here it goes, When playing for longer than 30 mins, I am fine, but when I play certain songs, my Left hand (on fretboard) Gets tired and sore, but playing other songs, for long periods of time, its fine. How can I build up more endurance besides just playing a whole bunch?

Then a finger question, this one I prolly already know the answer to, How can I build up finger strenght and endurance, I cant really rely on my pinky finger to do anything.

On a side note, I have played flute for 9 years now, and my fingers work pretty well for that, I guess its the 'slight increase of presure' that effects my fingers...

Thanks.

2. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    Just keep playing. Is it so hard to do? I dont understand why people want to play if they dont want to spend the time practicing.

practice is the key.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2003
    NY, County of Orange
    Trust me on this one. Go out and get the book
    "Bass Fitness...An Exercising Handbook". The author is a guy named Josquin Des Pres and it only costs about $7.95 good old American dollars.
    Now it ain't gonna be easy at first, but if you use this book, even if only 15 minutes a day, the pain will go away and your playing will improve immensely. I've only been playing bass a short time and I've made great strides because of it.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What really got all of my left hand fingers in shape was chromatic runs up the neck. Chromatic meaning basically every note, for example...

Code:
    G|------------------------------0-1-2-3-4--|
    D|--------------------0-1-2-3-4------------|
    A|----------0-1-2-3-4----------------------|
    E|0-1-2-3-4--------------------------------|

That is a chromatic scale in E. Just in case you didn't know. Play that in E, then work it back down, then F then work it back down, then F#, then work it back... well you get the point. Gets your left hand in shape pretty good.