Two questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by doom32x, Apr 13, 2001.

1. doom32x

Apr 10, 2000
    I was wondering, does a larger gauge cord put out better sound quality, because I have a cord with a tiny gauge and was thinking that a larger gauge might sound better, like it does with surround sound. Also, would using nail polish remover on the back of the bass hurt it? I just wanted to know so if I could, I would use it to rove the paint, it's a cheap bass and I don't really care about appearance.
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    To begin with, Bigger gauge cable works for Speakers not for Instruments, the opposite is true for Musical instruments in some manner...
    Its better to have a GOOD cable with good apropiate shielding and good connectors than having a 2 conductor 12-Gauge Phoenix Gold Zero Oxygen Cable if you get the point, that cable will have more impedance , lowering the overall response.

My personal choice: Monster Cable Pro Studio 500 and Leem Hot-Line 3.0 SS

About Nail polish remover, that is Acetone and will hurt the finish on the back of your bass.
    I dont know if you meant "REMOVE" the paint, if so the best way is achieved by sanding it.
    Acetone wont do a thing, even if it is industrial grade, I tried that on one bass and only ruined the finish but did not remove it.

Heating the finish (If it is Fender like thick uretane) and removing with a knife is a good idea too, but you can harm the wood.
  3. doom32x

Apr 10, 2000
    My cord is some brand called Johnson and it is really cheap and makes an assload of noise.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think those are the same people that make the rods. Play it safe ... get a new cord.