Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two questions....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Formula, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    1) i have a good friend who is trying to get started on the bass...he's got about 250-300 bucks to spend to get started. any reccomendations on a decent learner 4-string?

2) anybody play on an ESP f-series? like it? is it all looks, or has it got a nice sound, too?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I reccomend your friend try to stretch to a MIM Jazz bass, they are pretty good for learning on. It might be a little much though, so look into some cheap Yamaha's, or maybe some Brice basses. I've never played a Brice beofre, so I can't speak for the quality.

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I have one of the ESP f-series basses, and it sounds wonderful. Sadly, it's the only one I've played that sounds as good. Definately try it before you buy it.

Edit: I forgot to mention SX basses. Apparently they are great for the money (< $150). Of course, you'd have to buy online.

4. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    any idea why this would be? defective pickups or something?

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The SX's from Rondo Music are supposed to be GREAT values, and run from 99 on up for a Jazz/Precision clone.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd probably be a better be to go with one of those then, as he will probably notice very little difference between one of those and a Mexican made fender, especially as he is just starting out.

7. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    wowzers...those are......cheap. lol i might have to pick one up too...

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have an F205, love it. I've also played the new F254, love that too. Looks cool, feels better than anything I've played in that price range and has a very effective and versitile sound between the two PUs and 3 band EQ.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
  10. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    hoooooweee das purdy!

what should i be looking at that would be comparable to the esp's (or better, lol) in a similar price range? i'm just looking for something to practice around on so that i dont have to have my nice bass out all the freakin time, so it doesnt have to be anything spectacular. It would be nice if it sounded nice, though.

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What price range? ESP makes a range of LTD models from around $150 to $900.

12. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    oh yeah....uhh....600-900 ish would be nice...

13. I have played the Brice and for the money there is no comparison with a Yamaha or other low line bass. I'd go for the Brice personally... then if he picks it up permanently... get a good ol Fender or Carvin or Wal or maybe even one of the other Gucci boutique basses... :D

14. I played the fretted version of that one at the Kirkland, WA Guitar center. It sounded good and played and looked nice. Lotta bang for the buck there.

15. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    glad to hear multiple people vouching for them...i'd hate to steer this kid the wrong way on his bass.

16. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Your ESP-Ltd would be good in this situation. Good value for $$.

17. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I'd go with SX. I got one for a second bass and it is awesome! Cheap too. I think I'm going to get another one becuase this one needs a friend :)

18. Formula

Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    hmmm...dangit i wish somebody carried sx in the rear world. i hate not trying before buying.

anybody know if GC usually stocks ESP? the closest one is about 3 hours away so itd be nice to know beforehand...