1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two questions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lloccmttocs, Aug 21, 2007.

1. 1. How much should I tell people my Professor should cost? It originally costed 5500 before tax because I had it antiqued and had a special varnish.

2. Where are good places to look at basses? I live in CT and the furthest I'd like to drive is within NY or MA, so somewhere in that circle.

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    1. consider how much you want for it and how much a buyer would be willing to pay.

2. try: arnold schnitzer (upstate NY, actually pretty close CT; great set up work) david gage (NYC, old stand by) mark carlson (tewksbury, MA)

3. Deja vu.
    Do you actually read replies to your threads? Cuz we've been thru this before.

Try asking what you paid. Find someone who is specifically considering a Professor, and entice them with the fact that they don't have to wait for it to be built. You may have trouble covering the extra costs (tax, varnish, etc) but then you may find a bass that costs less and you'll come out even or on top.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4546577&postcount=5

4. I know but a lot of that was spent talking about conspiracys so I thought I'd just ask a simple question of where are bass shops.

5. You can try Volker Nahrmann in Mass

http://www.nahrmannbass.com/basses/home.html

You can also give John Styklunas a call. He does not not have a retail shop, only a workshop, but he may know of basses for sale in Boston. He has hooked me up with buyers for a couple of basses over the years. If you google his name you should be able to find his phone number on Bob G's pages. If not, PM me.

Peace,
    S

6. haha ... well not to be redundant, but I live very close to David Gage's shop so if you ever want another bass player to go and play on some basses with, just drop me a message.

7. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Definitely try Arnold. He's a good guy, and very easy to deal with. As far as Gage goes, he has a fairly large selection, but the markup is steep. I would never say don't go there, but you should know about the price thing going in. Try Bill Merchant, his selection is much smaller, but the pricing is much more reasonable.