Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Quick Questions -- Would Love Some Replies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JustaVictim, Sep 27, 2004.

1. JustaVictim

JustaVictim

Sep 27, 2004
    1. What is the cheapest Bass Guitar (And Electric if you know) available, but is still good. I have nothing saved up yet for one. But want one badly to start playing.

2. I am looking for some cheap, but really would like FREE magazines I can get sent to me that have Guitars in them (and suipplies)

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    1. Essex (aka "SX") basses are available at www.rondomusic.com - Brice is the other house brand there, and people seem to really, truly enjoy them. Start at about $150 or so.

2. you can certainly hit up www.musiciansfriend.com and have them start sending you catalogs... if you're looking for magazines, i.e. with articles and such as well, then I can't help ya there - just started getting Bass Player 2 months ago myself.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  4. EternalDarkness

EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    London
    I'm not an expert, but also worth checking out the Yamaha RBX170, nice body, different colours, PJ pickups, lightweight, and cheap :bassist:

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ibanez, Yamaha, LTD, Peavey, and others have affordable starter basses that are worlds better than the basses that were available to poor kids like me 10 years ago. Washburn and Fender are a couple others I thought of.

I still can't believe that the Ibanez GSR200 costs less than my starter Ibanez and has more features. Definitely a great bass for the money.

But, really, I'd go down to the music store and try out a bunch just to see how they feel in your hands.

There are other threads in the forum that have more detailed how-to's and suggestions for starter basses, so try the search button and see if that helps you any.

6. :D Fernandez used to make really good P-bass copies... like the Fender original with a more slender neck in depth....

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The least expensive decent basses are the SX series. www.rondomusic.bigstep.com

A great starter bass that has a little bit more versatile electronics and better fretwork would be an Ibanez GSR200.

The Yamaha RBX170 is very good for the price too.